Thursday, 28 January 2010

TIME TO STOP- FOR NOW

Tomorrow night I'm having dinner with Nick Clegg - and a couple of hundred others - at a do in Leeds. Last week I got a nasty jolt from a BNP leader who claimed he had been misrepresented. It's not grounds for expulsion. Journalism on a Yorkshire paper is my job for now - albeit a short-term thing. And, given the hours and the nature of the job, it's made blogging pretty much impossible.
For the foreseeable future, much of my spare time is going to be taken up with inventing marvellous fat-free dishes for my dad who has a serious gall bladder problem and is in need of care from us - his family.
Then there is the stress I have recently suffered from people locally whose only agenda was to get me into trouble with the Labour Party. They have not succeeded - but I am pretty fed-up with it all and have had enough.
So for now the blogging stops. It may resume once the general Election is called. I may leave it till afterwards. Whatever the time, blogs only work if you can really say what you think and be as partisan as you like. When you can't do either, it is pointless.
I will continue to be active in the local Labour Party and LRC.But for now it has to be in real time. Not the surreal and often nasty world of the blogosphere. Thanks to all who have supported the blog since 2007 - this time it really is a break. I will be back .....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We've all been there. Don't lose faith. The internet is a hideous place where people can sometimes express themselves without civility or charm. It is also a place where people can express themselves without control or editing. It should be without fear though.
Freedom to speak is a gift not to be abandoned. There will always be people who don't like what you say, there will always be people who do, in your case, more of the latter.
We are on the crest of this wave of new media, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

susan press said...

Thanks, Tim. I hope the halt will only be temporary.

Anonymous said...

You are a tease, Susan! "Tomorrow night I'm having dinner with Nick Clegg" and I was just about to reach for the 'phone and ring the 'The NotW!' when I read on to the end.

I wish you and your Dad well. To be old and sick is not good but I hope he has come consolation from the attention and care of loving daughters.

You'll be back, I'm sure, and in the meantime best wishes from your hopelessly antediluvian re-actionary e-friend,
David Duff

Harry Barnes said...

Susan. On 29 November you posted an item about the "Campaign for Labour Victory" and now "Labour List" has come up with an item claiming that 40 Labour MPs are supporting their call for a radical Labour Election Manifesto. See - http://www.labourlist.org/40-labour-mps-call-for-a-radical-manifesto

But I can find no web-site for this Campaign, nor have I found any mention of it so far on Michael Meacher's blog and he is supposed to have initiated the Campaign. Does it exist or is the it all spoof?

Harry Barnes said...

Susan : I should have said Coalition and not Campaign. Michael Meacher's office say that it is all genuine.