This afternoon I'm up to Durham for the annual Miner's Gala, or the "Big Meeting" as it's often dubbed. I'm looking forward to it immensely after a roller-coaster week in which we finally said goodbye to my father - his funeral was on his 90th birthday July 7 but was happily more a celebration of a life well lived than a day to be sad.
I think anyone who has seen loved ones endure months of suffering will concur with me that there is an immense sense of release when they are finally at peace. After a time of great diostress I have no more crying left to do so, as he would have wished, I shall get on with stuff and be as positive as I can. The Miner's Gala is a good start.
PS: Last week I was sent to cover the Labour leadership hustings in Leeds . Completely uninspiring. None of them really has the gravitas required to be Leader. So in the end for many of us it's going to be a case of "Anyone But David Miliband." Sounds like Blair, talks like Blair, but without the charisma.........at least all the others agree we have to undergo a sea change and admit they got stuff wrong. Miliband senior is yesterday's man and yesterday's politics. Ed Miliband is, realistically, the only one with a chance of stopping him. But, compared to previous contenders, ie Michael Foot, Denis Healey, John Smith, Anthony Crosland, Tony benn, they are all lightweights
Friday, 9 July 2010
THE BIG MEETING.....
Posted by
susan press
at
09:11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment