Tuesday, 8 February 2011

NOT A FAIR DIVVYING UP....

In times of stress, people tend to seek the comfort of addictive substances like alcohol and cigarettes. No they shouldn't, but that doesn't give anyone else the right to act as judge and jury. Especially when they profit from others' nasty habits.
So bad call by the Co-op, which has just banned smokers from getting reward points on the divi for their fags.
Outrageous is what I say because why don't they do similar for alcohol, saturated fats, junk food or indeed any other substance ( there are many) sold in a Co-op store which is unhealthy and unlauded by the lifestyle police.
Logically, the answer would be to INCREASE points for healthy choices not penalise the (largely working class) people who have already been hounded out of pubs, restaurants and most public places.
I don't think any of us have a problem with considerate behaviour to others not wishing to be polluted by others' smoke. But I do have a problem with shoppers who still smoke being singled out for punishment in a country where we're building supersize ambulances to cope with the fast increasing number of morbidly obese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree Susan, the whole idea of punishing people for their addictions or even making them pay for their health care is wrong. We should give people support to help them, but not treat them like pariahs.