Because I have been squirrelled away in a conference hall for the past few days I missed the Guardian story about Compass supporting some alleged leadership coup.
However I was pleased to note that Tony Lloyd MP has tonight been elected unopposed as the Leader of the PLP.
By no stretch of the imagination is Tony hard left. But I've known him for 20-odd years and the Manchester Central is a decent man of integrity and principle who I would back any day of the week against Barry Sheerman, the Yorkshire MP allegedly aiming to replace him.
The Guardian story ( which I can't link to as their website is rubbish) suggested Compass would back some alternative to Brown in a New Year coup. I ask the question- what's the point? Ironic really that Brown's erstwhile biggest cheerleaders are now aiming to ditch him.
I think those of us outside the Westminster bubble recognise the General Election is imminent, we're going to be immersed in a salvage operation, and maybe, just maybe, the result won't be as bad as some of us have feared due to lamentable own goals by the Tories and a change in the political weather. If anyone thinks a leadership election at this stage would be a good thing they are living in a parallel universe. Neal Lawson and his Management Committee should get real. And what a great pity they didn't in 2007. Now we live with the consequences. And do our best to hang on
Monday, 23 November 2009
NO MORAL COMPASS - PART 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment