Friday, 19 February 2010

NICK WINTERTON - A FIRST CLASS PRAT

The other day I had something in common with Nick Winterton - I travelled first-class. I travelled that way because it was the cheapest way of getting from London to Manchester at a time when business travellers have long deserted their laptop stations and digested their business breakfast.
I almost had to pay twice because the kindness of a friend in dropping me by car at Euston station meant of course we hit wall-to-wall traffic en route and I missed the (first-class) train I had booked.
Subterfuge was called for.
I plonked myself in an appropriate carriage, ordered a coffee and hoped for the best. In the event, I got away with sitting on a train which left 20 minutes after the one I should have been on. And therein lies the madness of it all.
Not only do we have a class-ridden, two-tier railway service. The whole privatised caboodle is an on-line lottery where it is sometimes cheaper to travel first and enjoy the undoubted benefits - nice gin and tonic, wine, free tea and coffee, and sandwiches and snacks all provided too .
If you're unlucky, it's standing-room only, long delays, clapped-out kitchens and all at premium prices. Cheap tickets, much-touted in the trade, have to be booked weeks in advance. Fine if you're on a tourist trip. Not so great in an emergency.
What we want, and what Labour Party members have been demanding for years, is a first-class railway for all , back in public hands, and providing everyone with fair fares. Not the shambles which we have at the moment, whichever part of the train you choose to sit in.

No comments: