Friday, 19 February 2010

PURNELL STANDS DOWN

Breaking news: James Purnell, once touted as a future leader, is to stand down.
With the announcement of Hoon's departure, the sad and sorry bunch who tried to de-seat the PM are now going down like ninepins.
I shan't mourn Purnell's departure. One of the architects of the Welfare Reform Bill, and a career politician, he blew it bigtime when he resigned from the Cabinet.
At least he has had the grace to recognise that and leave Westminster. Which is more than one can say for others not so far away from Stalybridge and Hyde
Update:I hear from insiders that Purnell's news came as a complete shock to his local CLP which had already invested a siginificant amount of money in election leaflets etc. I also hear his replacement is likely to be a local candidate who might never set the world on fire but at least has a solid track-record in the area.Good luck to whoever is selected to fight the seat.

No comments: