Wednesday, 3 November 2010

NOT OXBRIDGE MATERIAL.....

I was amused earlier today when a local Lib Dem tried to have a go at me on Twitter by asking where I went to University.
Amused is probably not the word. Sickened, definitely, by the attempted, ill-judged sneer and the total quiescence with which the Liberal Democrats have colluded in the most disgusting destruction ever of the life chances of thousands of young people.
A tiny cohort of working-class kids get to Oxbridge. As I pointed out, in so much as I could in 140 words, I was one of them at a time when higher education was free.
Even so, I remember my mother worrying whether we could afford the cost of food and accommodation - how we would manage and hiw I would manage surrounded by students from vastly more privileged backgrounds. . But as someone forced to leave school at 14 in the 1930's she was determined I would get to Cambridge - the first in my family EVER to go to university
There would be no question of that now. None at all. Nor, probably, of a university place anywhere else for children like me. But let's forget Oxbridge for a minute.
The very idea that fees of £6000 a year - for starters - everywhere - are "fair" is obscene, Orwellian doublespeak and utterly disgusting.
The £9000 which Oxbridge and other elite universities will charge closes the door for thousands of kids but is chickenfeed to those who pay £20,000 plus per year for public school education.
I am listening on PM to Vince Cable defend this indefensible policy with a breathtaking pomposity and pusillanimity which I hope will motivate Lib dems across the country to tear up their Party cards and join next week's demo in London against a rise in tuition fees which all Lib dem MPs publicly pledged they would fight.
Yes, New Labour opened the door to this wholesale betrayal by allowing tuition fees in the first place, That was six years ago.
At the time, dozens of Labour MPs rebelled against the Govt line and did their best to stop it. Aided, one recalls, by the Conservatives . How times change.
Cable talks of the "national interest." The only "interest" the Lib Dems are supporting is self-interest. They will righlty be punished soundly at the next election.
Tragically, a generation is going to be punished because of their wilful abandonment of every principle of fairness and decency.
Ed Miliband is right. This Government is one of "broken promises." Labour must now promise a fair policy on education and fight on behalf of those who will protest next week.
And those who now fear they will never get the chance to get to university in the first place.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't assume that anyone who asks you questions out of genuine curiosity is 'having a go' or 'ill-judged sneer' because it tends to look a tad paranoid.

JohnBM (A local Lib Dem)

Fr Simon said...

Well said, Susan.

Merseymike said...

I think that Labour must be in a very good position to win the Calder ward next time - many if not most FibDem supporters should be for the taking, given that its a ward where few would want to vote Tory