Monday, 28 September 2009

FIN DE SIECLE.....

The flags fluttering in the Brighton air are significantly devoid of the New Labour brand. Too late I fear. Two days into the Labour Party Conference and the mood is very much fin de siecle......there is much brave talk and yesterday new PPCs were rolled on stage and rightly applauded for their commitment to the battle ahead. But most sense it is already lost. However as a regional Party organiser said to me this morning we just have to fight on.
And I have a question for the SWP hordes who hijacked yesterdays trade union demo for "Jobs, Education and Peace" They brought their own banners, they " Ragesd against New Labour. They shouted "Labour Out".....What exactly do they think is going to be the scenario in a year's time......Do they really prefer the Tories?

6 comments:

Robert said...

Well Susan if the Tories do as Thatcher did my life will be better off. I've just had Labours new medicals for cripples and retards, the cheats and work shy of the country. I just been told my disability is at the high end of the scale and I will not be expected to work, but can if I wish.

Before new labour took over my benefits rise given to me by Major was £4.95 a week. This was high because the council tax went up..

New labour came to power and the council tax went through the roof, the biggest rise I had under labour was 95p, yet gas and electric has gone through the roof.

You your self have said it's difficult to live on benefits, I get £86 a week.

Last year was the biggest rise in benefits at £1.95, yet labour stated they were going to cut some benefits to give people a better chance of finding work, in other words starve me into work, but I cannot find a job. three years ago the BBC stated they would find me a job in Wales part of a program of getting the disabled back to work, they failed and stated it was impossible to find work in wales. believe it or not Labour has just cut my benefits by £12 a week again it's now down to £63 the same as job seekers.

So in reality do I care if labour gets elected again nope not really.

Look at the conference I think a lot of people feel the same as me.

Bob Piper said...

I well recall a small band of SWP'ers in 1979 arguing with me that we should support the Tories in the General Election because then the trade unions would rise up as one against Thatcher and we would move towards a revolutionary situation.

Bloody fine strategy that turned out to be!

Merseymike said...

Unfortunately, many of them do. That is why I have always been so suspicious of them

Robert said...

Lets see if this gets posted, I love Labour, Labour will win the next election, and we will all live in a dream world.

fact is Labours not going to win the next election, it has a fight on it's hands to stay in second place. And since this is not a Labour party as I know it, I really do not care.

Will the Tories we worse then Labour, how the hell can they.

susan press said...

Robert, much as I have criticised this Govt, I have no doubt at all that the Tories will be worse.Bob, interesting strategy by the SWP. Sad thing is that at a time when it's crucial to turn left the likelihood is it will be a right-wing renaissance

Dave Semple said...

Clearly the SWP never noticed the comments by Lenin et al that the reformist social democrats need to be in power to encourage a revolutionary situation - otherwise the myth of reformism remains intact.

The SWP are occasionally nuts, but they aren't Marxists.