Monday, 7 June 2010

TRAMP THE DIRT DOWN....

The Tory blogosphere is currently in uproar about a throwaway remark made by John McDonnell about Margaret Thatcher.
I would like to remind those blowing a gasket over what was basically a quip at a trade union hustings that Thatcher "assassinated" the NUM, the trade union movement, the hopes of millions on the dole, and indeed the Labour Party as a Government for 18 long years.
I would also remind those frothing at the mouth that it was the late not so great Kenny Everett who inspired hysterical laughter at a Tory rally when he urged the Party faithful to "bomb Russia" and throw away Michael Foot's stick. My guess is that, like John, he did not expect to be taken literally. But the Tory press will of course use any stick to beat the left with. Their apoplexy is nonsensical.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odd, but enjoyable, how one man's, er, 'throw-away remark not to be taken seriously', is an absolute proof of malignant intent, whilst another man's is, well, just a bit of fun, really.

I must remember that the next time some Tory twerp sounds off inadvertantly about 'queers' or 'blacks'. Still, I know I can always rely on the Guardian and the New Statesman to be tolerant and understanding.

Er, I can, can't I?

David Duff

Anonymous said...

Susan, I completely disagree with you.

John McDonnell says he aspires to be leader of our party, and presumably he believes that if we gave him that position he would have the leadership ability to inspire and motivate us to a victory in the next general election, and then to become a Labour prime minister, selecting a cabinet of ministers and co-ordinating a programme for government. Grown up stuff, in other words.

And so he comes out with a joke like this.

To my mind, he demonstrated today that he isn't really serious about standing for leader and he certainly hasn't a clue about what it would take to be a Labour prime minister. He showed that he doesn't believe in himself, and he doesn't believe that he or we stand a chance.

He is a third rate candidate for leader. An "as soon as this pub closes" type. I didn't completely appreciate this until today. He reminded me of one of those awful radical comedians we got in the eighties, the kind that adopted a radical pose but weren't even funnny enough to make it into the Red Wedge comedy tour.

It's all very depressing. Basically the candidates are nearly all oxbridge former special advisers. But most are also potential leaders and potential Labour prime minsters.

John... isn't.

susan press said...

What are you saying? A Labour leader should be an apologist for a woman who succeeded in destroying the hopes of a generation. Who counted General Pinochet and Ronald Reagan as allies?
There are millions of people who loathe Margaret Thatcher.
John spoke up for them.
I don't think that's "inept."
What IS inept is allowing Spads and Oxbridge graduates a free run in what used to be a Party of the working-class.
John stands up for those people. And they know that - even if the stupid PLP don't get it

Anonymous said...

Susan, you ask "what am I saying" as if it were unclear. I don't think he's fit to be leader of the party and his behaviour showed that. Labour MPs, his immediate constituency, will see the point. I wonder if Frank Field could withdraw his nomination at this late stage?

I think you are wrong to suggest that anyone who didn't say he would kill an opposition political leader was in some way an apologist for her. There are millions of people who loathe Margaret Thatcher. No excuse for boasting about killing her. Especially when he didn't any more than he'd kill her present successor, who probably isn't quaking in his boots. Pathetic. All mouth and trousers. He showed he has no belief in himself as a credible candidate for leader.

I note some rumblings now that he should withdraw in favour of Diane Abbot. But of course he won't - he lacks the tactical sense and political insight to so something as selfless as that. And the "left" probably hate her as much as they do the rest of the comrades standing in this selection.

All credit to you for sticking up for your man, though!

susan press said...

John McDonnell did not say he would kill Thatcher.
You are frankly being hysterical about a remark made in the context of a trade union hustings , involving a "time machine" and clearly meant as a joke.
Liam Byrne's comment about there being no money left Ha Ha was likewise picked up and used by the right-wing press. they will always find a stick to beat us with.
But to suggest a candidate backed by UNITE, Unison Left, the CWU, FBU, RMT and thousands of Party members should stand down because they made an anti-Thatcher comment is ludicrous.
I would like to vote for a candidate who did not support the Iraq War which led to thousands dying. Or a policy programme of neo-liberalism and privatisation which cost us the Election.So would many others Let's get our priorities right

Duncan Hall said...

Some football bloke today said that the England team hoped that lions would eat the press pack... Not heard any outrage about that! (Maybe because it was a joke?)

Dave said...

Hi Susan,

Unite were not and are not backing John McDonnell....a spin too far. Unite backed all candidates being on the ballot paper.

Dave Draycott