Friday, 5 October 2007

SECTARIAN BEHAVIOUR

It's sad to see the ultra-left reverting to type and rubbishing socialists within the Labour Party. In a spirit of comradeship, I made sure to invite individuals from outside the Party to the meeting I organised in Hebden Bridge. Apologies to the good comrades who were there from SWP and RESPECT but I must comment on a nasty little piece written by Dave Isaacson, who is the local powerhouse of ultra-left Weekly Worker.
The report is up on their website and I have just written a reply which I hope they will publish in the interests of fairness . Dave describes the event as "shambolic" , a view he's entitled to. But I take great exception to his remarks about me. As anyone who knows me will testify, I am no friend of New Labour. But in a discussion exchange on media interviews, I said there was no point just always being negative to the TV cameras but that sometimes one should pose as a "critical friend." of the leadership It's called strategy, Dave. Otherwise they just cut you off and you don't get ANY criticisms in.
I also went on to say quite clearly that as socialists we had to continue fighitng for socialist ideas within the Party, try and build the LRC but also work with other campaigns outside. No mention of that because it doesn't suit the Weekly Worker agenda.
Dave also badly misrepresents what Linda Riordan had to say, twists John McDonnell's words, implies he's given up on the Labour Party and makes it generally plain he basically has no time for the Labour Left . Well I don't have much time for people who are invited to attend and have their say in a spirit of friendship and then do hatchet jobs on decent socialists. If you wanted a slick PR event, dave, you should have gone to Labour Party Conference. And, by the way, how many members/readers does Weekly Worker have ???????

3 comments:

Tom said...

"If you wanted a slick PR event, dave, you should have gone to Labour Party Conference."

Such an attitude is part of the reason why the left has been met with such little success over the past few years...

Anonymous said...

A bit harsh on Mr. Isaacson, I think, after all *if* politics is a conviction business (stop giggling!) then you you can see the difficulty he desribes here:

"But the common sense response from so many was that they can’t go around knocking on doors asking people to vote Labour, and at the very same time criticise the government."

I'm intrigued as to how you will square that particular circle yourself when it comes to the next election given that your dislike of 'ur wee Gordie Broon' and all his works appears to be both intellectual and visceral.

I trust you will be telling no 'porkies', the people of Hebden Bridge deserve no less!

susan press said...

What attitude do you mean Tom? The event was not shambolic - we had two MPs, a former MP, a senior union General Secretary, former GLC councillor and numerous trade unionists and constituencies. 14 were represented.There was no dazzling light show, but the venue was a social club, we fed 60 people for £55 and paid a sound and light engineer. The Weekly Worker will just use any excuse to rubbish the Labour Party - even the hard left. That was my point.