Sunday, 28 September 2008

GOODBYE,BUTCH

When I was a schoolgirl, the female world was divided into two camps. Those who idolised Paul Newman. And those who were fans of t his sparring partner Robert Redford. The two films they made together remain classics and seriously good therapy if you're in need of the feel-good factor. So I was saddened earlier today to read of the death of Paul Newman. Because he really was one of the good guys. An American liberal, he opposed war in Vietnam, was on the CIA's list of potential trouble-makers and raised millions for charity with his salad dressing, Newman's Own. As if all that weren't enough he was a brilliant actor and remained devoted to his wife, Joanne Woodward, for over 50 years. Pretty rare in Hollywood. His last film, The Road To Perdition, is a truly brilliant evocation of the 1930's in America and I recommend you seek it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its these posts that make you out to be "normal" not a member of sect like so many on the Left

keep the blogging

dont always agreed

but great stuff

Socialist Catholic