Thursday, 25 September 2008

INTO THE REAL WORLD...

I'm far too tired and drained of adrenalin to write much today but just to note Brown's speech has been undermined completely by the leak of Ruth Kelly's resignation. The left often gets accused of treachery but the Blairites and right-wing are positively Machiavellian in their intrigue. How deeply dispiriting it all is.
By way of contrast, last night's Convention Of The Left meeting got around 250 people, enjoyed a sparky debate, and the mood in the pub afterwards where I stopped off briefly before getting train home was positively euphoric. Thanks to all the organisers, particularly John Nicholson, for inviting the LRC to take part. I know when we started out in January some people were sceptical the Labour Party still had socialists. Or that Labour Party lefties could work with others without falling out. Just one small point. Miles, stop asking when we're all going to up and leave the Labour Party. As Bob Griffiths said so pertinently, that route has already been tried quite a few times recently and it hasn't, er. worked.......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, I dont want to be churlish, but how on earth wasn't the biggest changes in welfare for sixty years, even more, not discussed at the COTL?, Brown has now made it a key policy, it seems people on benefits are invisible to the left.

its sad...

Anonymous said...

So why is Comrade Griffiths in the Communist Party?

susan press said...

Frenetic, were you actually at the Convention? New Labour's punitive attitude to welfare reform was discussed as part of the economic debate , which went on for over four hours. It also came up in the women's event and most of the sessions I attended.
Bob Griffiths was making the point we don't actualy need a new worker's party - we already have sundry groups on the left. I'm frankly mystified why you keep touting this line because it'a NOT LRC policy and I hope it never will be because it is just a distraction and, I'm sorry, an irritation.

Anonymous said...

no one listens to anyone outside the main political parties

just look at usa

if it was easy to establsih a new mass party then it would have happended their

we have already had SSP, Solidarity, Socialist Alliance, Militant, Militant Labour, Socialist Alternative, Socialist Party, Respect, Left List

how many new workers parties do they want to establish

it still wont work

Some of John McDs statement would seem to point to him joining Gallaway in exile

what a waste

susan press said...

Anonymous, the Convention Of The Left was NOT about forming a new workers' party. It was about working in solidarity with people on the left around issues we have common ground on. There is no prospect at all of either John McDonnell, or Jeremy Corbyn, or Kelvin Hopkins, all of whom particpated in the Convention, joining anyone in exile. Something which probably disappoints many in New Labour.