Over the weekend I was discusing the windfall tax issue with some comrades who are close to COMPASS. Now I have signed the Compass petition and I fully support it ( though what we really need is re-nationalisation of the utility companies) however I wonder what will happen to the laudable aims if , as sems likely, the Govt ignores the loud pleas for a windfall tax.
Today's Guardian reports that Ministers and the country's leading electricity companies are expected today to finalise a £1bn plan to " improve energy efficiency" and help cut soaring fuel bills.
Gordon Brown is also expected to announce improvements to the cold-weather payment scheme and the restoration of up to £100m of cuts in the government's own warm-front programmes but all this just doesn't go far enough. It is also a seriously missed opportunity to restore faith in Labour
I was rather taken with the typically acerbic wirds from Tony Woodley, the joint general secretary of Unite, who rightly pointed out "This can't be addressed by lagging the loft, as some crackpots around the prime minister have suggested. Without help with fuel bills now, we'll be lagging the coffins of the elderly if we have a cold winter."
Gordon Brown is also expected to announce improvements to the cold-weather payment scheme and the restoration of up to £100m of cuts in the government's own warm-front programmes but all this just doesn't go far enough. It is also a seriously missed opportunity to restore faith in Labour
I was rather taken with the typically acerbic wirds from Tony Woodley, the joint general secretary of Unite, who rightly pointed out "This can't be addressed by lagging the loft, as some crackpots around the prime minister have suggested. Without help with fuel bills now, we'll be lagging the coffins of the elderly if we have a cold winter."
But what I want to know is what will the trade union leaders and MPs actually DO if their campaign falls on stony ground. As happened last year on the REMPLOY issue - despite Woodley's fighting talk at a Conference rally.

5 comments:
Look what Brown has done now , even Blair did not do this, Brown has come out for one side in the American election, the bloke is either a blithering idiot or he just does not know any better.
The one thing as leader you do not say anything until after the election imagine if MC Cain now wins and we have this blithering idiot still in power here.
Nothing Brown does now can compare to how people see him a blundering big thick twit.
Lets be honest telling people you will save money once you get your loft insulated while they are struggling to live is beyond me.
Somebody within Labour is telling him something and he believes it, how else can you put down the blunders this bloke makes.
My home has had the warm front I was given grants and paid well over £500 to have my home made fully ECO compliant. it was passed this year as needing nothing done, I get a low tariff because I've a severe disability, Yes I've taken the new test and passed as being unfit to work. yet my gas and electric has gone up by 43% my house is still cold when it's cold out side OK it does not take so long to warm up and stay warm yet my bills have doubled almost since Labour has come to power.
Sorry but somebody must be telling Brown look mate your doing well do not worry the polls are rubbish I know what is going on and the people love you, it has to be something like this because to be honest he is Labours Thatcher.
To be honest, I think a Labour Prime Minister should oppose a Republican candidate in the US election.
I'm no fan of Brown, but I don't think this was that much of a mistake.
I agree Brown was absolutely right.....
" what I want to know is what will the trade union leaders and MPs actually DO if their campaign falls on stony ground"
Wrong question to ask IMO. We know exactly what they will do - make a few appropriate noises, then retire hurt. The question should be what can WE do. The only way to keep this issue alive and put some pressure on this instinctively rightwing government is through widespread grassroots campaigning.
Agreed, but we also need continued support from TUs and MPs
Post a Comment