Sunday, 18 January 2009

JOHN MORTIMER REVISITED

Meant to post this earlier today but just to say was sad to learn of the old cove's death. Met him on a couple of occasions when I interviewed him in the 1980's and he was the archetypal champagne socialist - and incorrigible flirt -. Nevertheless a man who spoke out with passion and conviction on behalf of the left.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He actively supported barbaric bloodsports and was a supporter of the odious Countryside Alliance. All those who oppose sadism in the name of 'sport' will not be mourning.

Anonymous said...

I was about to suggest that some considered him to be an A1 shit of the first order:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/a-voyage-round-john-mortimer-by-valerie-grove-399534.html

but in view of Chris Gale's useful information I suggest we start a campaign to give him a tomb in Westminster Abbey. Chap was obviously a gentleman!

Duncan Hall said...

I didn't know Mortimer was on the left. Years ago I read an interview he did with Tony Benn, entitled 'Tea with Dracula' and another with Arthur Scargill. They were reasonably sympathetic interviews - particularly in the context of the bile that was being flung at the two in the mainstreat press at that time - but I hadn't picked up that he was on the left.

Nothing to do with this post, but I wondered whether some of your readers might be interested in my latest Labour Left Forum offering on left organisation?

http://labourleftforum.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-is-to-be-done-roadmap-for-left.html

Anonymous said...

Mortimer recycled his own material in plays, books, articles. His imagination and compassion were limited. He was the darling of the Daily Mail.

Anonymous said...

"old cove"..... very tweed and grouse moors for someone with a supposedly working class background.

susan press said...

Anonymous,you it happens to be the appropriate word for the man. He WAS very tweed and grouse moors. Perhaps I should explain because either you do not understand or you're just being nasty - it was a deliberate use of an archaic bit of pre-war upper-class slang.Comprendez?