Monday, 3 August 2009

MANDY 4 LEADER - PLEASE GOD NO

I knew it. In the great tradition of Jacobean tragedy, and Shakespeare, here comes the Mandy show.

When Gordon Brown saved his bacon recently by signing a pact with the Prince Of Darkness, it was clear there would be a price to pay. In return for redemption, Brown had several months to turn things round but should it fail his Great Protector ( bit like trusting the Child Snatcher with your kids) would become Great Enemy and go for the job he's wanted all his life.

Mandelson's many Mates With Money are already talking him up as a leadership possibility and at the bookies he is apparently 16-1. A seat, so I read today, is already being lined up for him in Durham where former Whip Hilary Armstrong is standing down. Nice.

The truly terrifying thing is that with Purnell, Blears and others now out of the equation it could actually be that this latterday Iago will be plotting behind the scenes to take over .

It could just be silly season stuff by the papers but somehow there is a ring of of inevitability about the speculation. Who, after all, is briefing them? And, at a time when Labour MPs are shaking in their seats the utterly unthinkable could become perceived as some last-ditch solution. Let us hope not........

3 comments:

Brigada Flores Magon said...

I agree with you but I think that we should be looking not so much at Iago as Richard III.

Robert said...

Come on Richard the 111 was not that bad we now think of him more as being misunderstood, I think we all know what Mandy's not misunderstood, he is just in the wrong party

Merseymike said...

Actually, I'm not sure I agree. The thing about Mandelson is that he is actually very tribally connected to Labour and I think he reflects the Morrisonian tradition very well.

At least he has ability and is socially liberal.