The point of political blogging is to tell the truth. Comfortable or otherwise. And, when you can no longer do that, then maybe it is time to stop.
The reason I'm at my computer at such an ungodly hour is because I was daft enough to read a book about a woman being stalked. And now I can't get to sleep.
I'm pondering the fact that when I started this blog it was in a spirit of optimism and also in the hope I could say what I thought and that people could agree, or otherwise, and engage in a way which recognised I wished to write with some irreverence and humour. Maybe sometimes I was OTT and, in hindsight, maybe I would have said certain things differently. But behind it all was a belief in the Labour Party as still the only place where socialists should be.
I was reinforced in that view as, in my Branch, I was surrounded by people whose only wish was to retain this seat at the next election and see a Labour Government sympathetic to the policies we'd supported over many years. It did not seem that awesome a task. Or objectionable as an ideal.
Since 2007, our hopes have been gradually eroded to the point where it seems impossible to tell it like it is - because the truth I'm afraid is that this constituency has been torn apart by a bitter selection battle which means this blog is of course read by people who also blogged malicious comments and briefed the media with disparaging remarks about our former PPC, and who ultimately succeeded in their bid to displace her on grounds so trivial in the light of the MP's expenses scandal and other events that the NEC should hang its head in shame.
Some months ago, a senior member of the NEC acknowledged to me in a private conversation they had probably got it wrong. And actually suggested that those who could not stomach the injustice of what had happened should go and campaign elsewhere. I suspect that, at the next General Election, that is what many will do. Others, I'm sad to say, have simply left the Party in disgust.
And to suggest, as someone did in the local media the other day , that that is not the case is disingenuous and insulting.
The campaign against the left in Calder Valley continues to be waged by those who presumably prefer the current state of schism to what we had before. A CLP which flourished and worked hard - despite the ideological differences - in a spirit of co-operation with our MP Chris McCafferty. Where we are now is not where any CLP would like to be. I hope that will change.
In terms of the blog, I had to impose comment moderation and then stop anonymous remarks as the stream of offensive remarks became unsustainable. I'm still of course getting the remarks by idiots calling themselves things like "Barack Obama." But by now of course I recognise the style or, should I say, lack of it. It is the very same people who used to post anonymously.
All of which is to say I'm suppose that maybe the toxicity round here is such that I might stop blogging for a bit. At least about local stuff. And concentrate, instead, on the very difficult task of persuading those I respect and value that it's still worth hanging on in there. Thoughts which I will be articulating at our fund-raising event on Thursday night.
Wednesday, 5 August 2009
THE POINT OF BLOGGING.....
Posted by
susan press
at
01:57
Labels: blogging, Calder Valley CLP
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Don't let the bastards grind you down, Susan.
You like to dish it out Susan. But you just can't take any criticism, can you?
The purpose of blogging is to engage in robust debate but all you do is get hysterical and try and censor anyone who tries to give you a reality check. I know you're a big fan of state owned propaganda mills, but please wake up - this is 2009.
Toughen up girl, and learn to take some of your own medicine.
BO, I habve no problem with reality checks. I've been quite clear about the reality in Calder Valley . I (usually) censor abusive remarks like this one because they are not "robust debate". As for me being a fan of propsganda mills, I think I've mae it pretty obvious that's the last thing I'm in favour of. State-owned or otherwise.
Your posts are not "medicine", they are merely offensive.
Oh dear, a fate worse than death - I find myself in agreement with Bob Piper!
I suspect you are feeling a touch of the 2 a.m. blues, Susan. A large scotch over the bran flakes at breakfast and you'll soon be back counter-punching. At least I hope so because I value your blog for the insights it provides me into . . . well, several things, really.
Even so, 'BO' above does have a point. If you volunteer to stand on a political soapbox then you must expect the rotten veg that will be thrown at you. How you deal with it will say much more about you than the people who throw it.
Fight the good fight!
David Duff
Bran flakes and Scotch? Separately, maybe. Together, never! A large Laphraoig is sometimes great therapy though......
I think those who don't have the guts to post in their own name are hoist by their own petard. You can't have 'robust debate' with those who hide behind the cover of anonymity. Nearly always to be personally offensive
Labour do need to lose the election, although I do not welcome a Tory government. But we do need changes of government every so often in a democracy. and certainly Labour are tired and out of steam, even before we start to look at the content of their policy.
As for Calder Valley. I expect Booth to come third, at best. I certainly wouldn't vote for her under any circumstances. Hebden Bridge which Labour needs to win the seat is an intelligent electorate and I expect a robust Green vote there next time
Post a Comment