I don't believe in telling fibs and our outgoing MP Chris McCafferty would be the first to confirm that she and I have not always agreed.
But, being in very different, happier, circumstances in 2005, I was more than willing to trot along to her campaign HQ every day and hit the phones to stop Calder Valley going Tory.
What I didn't realise, until just now, is that last time round Labour's share of the vote was exactly the same as the Tories - 35.7 per cent.
What swung it, on a wafer-thin majority, was the FTTP system. Whether or not that will save Labour again remains to be seen but what I do know is that Chris McCafferty will be missed by all of us in the Labour Party.
Neither particularly "left" nor New Labour, she was able to keep the constituency united - and when the occasion of a matter of principle arose, as it did over Iraq, Trident and foundation hospitals, she would rebel.
I still think Chris was wrong not to help us nominate John McDonnell in 2007 - we had a blazing row after that one.
But I have always appreciated her good humour and kindness in often trying situations. So, as Parliament dissolves , I just want to place on record the fact we will miss her terribly in Calder Valley, where she has been MP since 1997
Thursday, 8 April 2010
THANKS, CHRIS.......
Posted by
susan press
at
12:14
Labels: Chris McCafferty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm not sure if a Tory told you those figures, but overall Labour won the popular vote by 3% of the vote.
Labour 9,562,122 (35.3%)
Tories 8,772,598 (32.3%)
Lib Dems 5,981,874 (22.1%)
UKIP 603,298 (2.2%)
SNP 412,267 (1.5%)
Green 257,.758 (1.0%)
No.. I'm not in the habit of communing with Tories. The figures are on the Hebweb so maybe you should contact them
Post a Comment