The skies are blue and the planes are back at Manchester Airport. Having become an expert at porridge-making and sneaky ways of getting calories down sick dads I will be heading back home this afternoon still in the curious role of bystander at an election where family comes first and I have no time for politics.
I've stuffed a few envelopes and plan to slot in a few days more when I can . That's it and that's how it has to be. But one thing I will be doing is watching tonight's debate.
This is the weirdest election I have ever known . The Clegg bubble surely cannot last. But where is Labour?
In most constituencies people will still faithfully be plodding on and hoping for the best. So am I - while fearing the worst.
Several things have struck me in the past few days. One is the complete inability of the left outside Labour to sort itself out. Perhaps they spend so much time slagging off the Labour Party that they don't understand fielding TWO minority candidates ie RESPECT and TUSC against each other is an absurdity beyond belief and bloody stupid tactics. But this is happening in several constituencies in the north-west. Note also the Green Party is standing candidates even in seats where redoubtable Labour lefties with impeccable records face a struggle. Why? I understood from senior Greens this was not going to happen. So much for solidarity
Most appallingly, the former MP Lynne Jones has said she will vote for RESPECT's Salma Yaqoob. No disrespect to Salma. I'm sure she is an excellent candidate with great values but Lynne Jones has relied on Labour to keep her career going for years. If she wanted to switch sides, why not keep quiet.
I think it is a major slap in the face to all her supporters and the Labour Party members locally who stood by her through thick and thin. It is also a slap to her ex colleagues in the Campaign Group who, whatever their differences with the leadership, are still fighting the fight.
I suppose now Ms Jones has got her Farrow and Ball wallpaper on expenses and left Parliament she can say what she likes and vote how she likes. But she should have kept quiet. It is the least she owed the rest of us still campaigning for Labour
Thursday, 22 April 2010
TWO WEEKS TO GO.....
Posted by
susan press
at
10:14
Labels: 2010 General Election
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Well, there is absolutely no way that I will vote for Joe Benton MP given his anti-gay voting record - irrespective pof the party he stands for
Its amusing to think that whilst someone who is still a social democrat at heart will be voting TUSC for the want of anyone else to vote for, you'll be voting for Stephanie Booth!
If I was in your position I'd relish the fact that its a secret ballot and you have a good Green candidate
Hi Susan,
too right.
Dave Draycott
Hey Susan, the Greens selected their candidates and proposed their seats over a year ago. Besides it's hard to say just because Respect, TUSC and the Greens are all to the 'left of New Labour' they all share the same values and shouldn't contest seats.
If you're talking about Manchester Gorton then all I can say is that certain high-profile figures in Respect screwed it up at the last minute. Unlike New Labour But hey, it could be worse.. at least they're not war criminals or tax dodgers!
Why should they move over for Labour Why doesn't Labour move over for us for once, it's not as if the rest of the left are standing in the vast majority of seats. Why can't they move over the Salma and Caroline? LRC/Labour Left members seem to be expecting some kind of solidarity from us and you do indeed have it, your People's Agenda is commendable but it stands in stark contrast to the Labour Party Manifesto. But it's nothing new to the rest of the left, if fact it's a reaction to the failures we've all accepted. How many of Labour's 650 prospective MPs will sign up to it?
The vast majority of candidates with an 'impeccable record' eft the New Labour party long ago. Lynne Jones included.
Interesting to hear from my comrades within, they are refused to be dragged to campaign for certain grubby 'Blue Labour' candidates... even if they are staying loyal to Labour and not supporting the wider left, in some places such as Salford the Left is seriously united. Now that might make a little more exciting reading than highlighting your irrational fear of TUSC and the rest.
Good Luck!
Warmest Wishes
I have no fear of TUSC - they are irelevant and will get a derisory share of the vote. The reality is that in Salford Blears will still win - however much one wished the Party locally had got its act togethre andde-selected her as they did in Luton South.
I think it's deplorable Greens are standing candidates against Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell.
And, however few Labour MPs would sign up to the People's Charter, it's far more than TUSC/RESPECT or indded the Greens are going to have May 7. I know many people in the Greens who do not agree with what has happened....
But I can't support any candidate, irrespective of party, who opposes abortion and is anti-gay. Simple as that.
Hi davidhenry,
'the rest of the left'? Would that be the 'rest of the left' who regularly get well below 2% in elections?
Smugness and holier than thou rightousness is no substitute for political credibility.
On this one Susan has hit the nail squarely on the head.
Dave Draycott
Post a Comment