We all remember the "Portillo moment" when it became crystal clear that Labour really was on course for a landslide victory in 1997. Well, 10 years on Michael Portillo is doing very nicely thankyou as a broadcaster and journalist - most prominently on Andrew Neil's discussion programme The Week.
His sparring partner on the sofa, Diane Abbott, could not be more different politically. But to be fair, Portillo is an intelligent guy who seems engaging company ( for a Tory anyway) . And, frankly, some of his recent pronouncements are far more "left" than the New Labour elite.
But in recent months I have found myself becoming increasingly irritated at what seemed like Diane's rather gung-ho support for Gordon Brown. So I am pleased to report that the somewhat maverick Campaign Group MP has finally put it on record that she WILL be nominating John McDonnell after all. Diane and Bob WareingMp are the latest to join the fast-growing list of endorsements. www.john4leader.org.uk


8 comments:
Perhaps I'm an old cycnic but nominating John, while good news, will do her credibility no harm. She may feel safe nominating John knowing that should he win through GB will win the leadership and if John doesn't win through she can revert to GB.
Therefore, whichever way the cards fall she wins.
Accepted. But I'd rather she nominates than not! Let's hope the other Campaign group MPs who have been faffing about come on board.
I can't help but think that alarm bells should be ringing Susan that it wasn't entirely clear until recently that Campaign Grouper Diane Abbott would be supporting John.
The PLP is a strange animal. I stillthink we will get the 44.Just.
I remember her on the show saying that she would use her nomination to make sure that we had a contest which is not the same as saying she is a massive supporter of JMcD.
Who said she was? I certainly don't think so.She is in favour of a contest. Seems fair enough to me.I never thought she was a "massive supporter" In fact, I know she is not.
2 more endorsements from the PLP
(and Meacher bizzarly claiming he has 25 MPs supporting him against just 15 for McD)
I think he is bonkers......
Post a Comment