Wednesday, 4 April 2007

LOCAL ELECTIONS 2007 -VOTE LABOUR!


Just had official notification my nomination papers are OK - so that's the first hurdle over in being re-elected as a local councillor for the Fairfield ward . Only an idiot would under-estimate the unpopularity of Labour nationally at the moment. But in Hebden Royd the Labour track-record is second to none.

In the past four years, we have supported dozens of community groups, improved leisure facilities in Calder Holmes Park, backed Fairtrade initiatives, and achieved the best attendance records at council meetings. My council colleague Stewart Brown helped save local bus services and Coun Dave Young was one of the main instigators of the Environmental Street Warden scheme.

Hebden Royd Labour Party is NOT New Labour. As the above picture shows, our comrades have supported many anti-war demonstrations and affiliated to Labour Against The War.

We have called on Blair to stand down several times (we're still waiting) and a sizeable number of us hope to vote for John McDonnell as Labour leader in the forthcoming leadership contest.

Currently we have five councillors. There are 12 of us standing this time. Help us get a decent majority on the Town Council and vote Labour again.

6 comments:

HenryG said...

Good luck Susan!

Anonymous said...

Cheers,Henry. We'll need it.

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the elections Susan.

I know how hard you work on both local and national campaigns and what a principled socialist you are. If I lived in Hebden Royd I would be proud to have you as my local councillor. You deserve every success in this election.

Best wishes,

John McDonnell MP

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the support! Just back from Labour Party curry night fundraiser -our best ever! Also won the raffle so maybe good sign.....!
Happy Easter, comrades.Back blogging on Monday.

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best of all good luck, Grimmy!

Having said that, are you considering to stand for nomination once McCafferty resigns?? A bloody shame she won't be supporting John... because she won't, will she?

susan press said...

No,she won't.She is quite aware many members here are on John's side (many have written to her) and utterly disillusioned with New Labour. I think Chris's position is illogical and like others I'm disappointed but am not going to be hostile over it. There is no point. Indeed would be counter-productive. AM I going to stand? Thinking aboutit......