At 12 noon tomorrow Tony Blair is to announce his resignation as Labour leader. So why aren't I whooping with joy? Many of his acolytes will soon go with him and Labour has the chance to renew and change. But I have to say my gut instinct is that it won't under a Brown Premiership. Nor will it, obviously, unless there is a contest. Which is by no means certain.
Tomorrow, we will also find out who goes forward from the left to try and get the 44names for the ballot. I really can't believe it will be Michael Meacher. But, given the snakepit of Westminster, who knows......so for now the fizzy stuff remains unopened.
Wednesday, 9 May 2007
BLAIR'S LAST 24 HOURS AS LABOUR LEADER
Posted by
susan press
at
12:11
Labels: blair, resignation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Susan,
Well, we can always hope that John manages to get on the ballot. I fear Meacher doesn't care about his own bid very much - it looked more or less like a joke from the very beginning, I fear. Tomorrow might be an exciting day...
I do believe, however, that Brown can consider himself free fom any Blairite threat! Good or bad? What do you say? At this point, I'm not sure I care one way or the other!
Meacher cares all right.....more about himself than the Party.No Brown hasn't seen off the Blairites.But as I say my main concern for now is getting a contes. Tomorrow could be exciting - or anightmare. we'll see.
"No Brown hasn't seen off the Blairites."
I agree. What meant is that I assume they afen't gonna make a bid in the near future. Would you agree with that?
So how many Brownites will appear on Meacher's nominations list?
The bbc are reporting that the gossip is that Brownites want a contest - if we assume that they mean a contest with Meacher rather than McDonnell, then will the Brownites make sure that is what they get?
Post a Comment