Wednesday, 2 May 2007

NO, I'M NOT A BLAIR BABE!


A man called Joseph posts on our local website. He won't be voting Labour as he wants to give Blair "a kicking." Blair is "my man", he says, because I'm in the Labour Party. I am known locally for campaigning on national issues So he won't be voting Labour. Even though he acknowledges I am anti-war and anti-Blair .The logic of which mostly escapes me.But I have to note where he is coming from.
Four years ago, three years ago, two years ago, one year ago. Blair was the major problem. Unfortunately, despite his announcement on the news last night that a departure date is due next week, it seems he still is for many people. Despite the fact he won't even be in the GOVERNMENT in a few weeks ( and expect a by-election soon in Sedgefield).People have simply had enough - and they want to protest. It's illogical, unfair, unjust. And very tough on all the thousands of candidates up and down the country. Well, I've done my best to answer this guy's points. Am just off out to deliver last leaflets.
Tomorrow night, will be working in my home town of Manchester where, actually, the "Blair kicking" era is now largely over. I expect a friend of mine (Kath Fry, good left-winger) to re-gain her council seat in Whalley Range. How did they do it? Largely by re-branding themselves "Manchester Labour" and distancing from national policy. To be fair, Manchester has also benefitted hugely from central government funding. The city council has a great track-record , which helps......I won't know the actual results round here till Friday, which is when West Yorkshire in its bizarre wisdom holds the count. Lots of BNP candidates. Hope the news isn't too bad. At the last count (picture above with local MP Chris McCafferty) our local The Fox And Goose had record takings. Let's hope against hope that this year it's for the right reasons.

1 comment:

Archie said...

I know how you must feel. All I've been getting this campaign is Blair and bins! If only there was a way to combine the two...