Saturday, 7 July 2007

PFI MADNESS

Make absolutely no claims to be an expert in economics but there's a good article in today's Morning Star by someone who is. Kelvin Hopkins points out that recent academic analysis by Manchester University suggests that PFI schemes committed so far will cost the taxpayer £93 BILLION POUNDS more than the equivalent public investment. Kelvin is also a member of the LRC's LEAP - Left Economocs Advisory Panel - more info here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah - not in italics! I don't read your blog regularly as my eyesight is pretty poor and whole swathes of text in italics are really hard for me. So glad you've realised it's not very accessible and changed it. Thanks Susan, and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

And further to the short-sighted Anonymous above, were you to change from this awful white on black to traditional (because it works better!) black on white, then I will stop embarrassing you by agreeing with you!

PFIs were but one of the despicable tricks played on us by 'oor wee Gordie Broon' which, happily, I won't have to pay for because the chances are I'll be dead but you young suckers will.

You want the NHS to be paid for out of taxation whilst I want the *whole thing* sold off and privatised. Both are honourable political aims, and the pros and cons can be debated, but 'Broons' con-trick of avoiding the hideous truth of just how much money it takes to supply a finite service to a public that has infinite demands, by making hospital trusts borrow at usurious rates so that the figures could be kept off the national P&L accounts, was dishonest.

susan press said...

Actually, David. I like the WOB.