Credit where credit is due and it seems Gordon Brown's proposals to discuss constitutional issues are being broadly welcomed - as they should be. No longer will Prime Ministers be able to take us to war at whim and, in fairness, Brown seems determined to give Parliament - and our people - back some autonomy. As Tony Benn says in today's Guardian
"Gordon Brown's statement in the House of Commons on Tuesday was by far the most comprehensive analysis of constitutional relations that I have heard in my
lifetime and could have a profound influence on our political future. I welcome
his readiness to encourage a debate and hope that opportunity will be taken up
by all those who have been campaigning for such reforms for so long."
lifetime and could have a profound influence on our political future. I welcome
his readiness to encourage a debate and hope that opportunity will be taken up
by all those who have been campaigning for such reforms for so long."

No comments:
Post a Comment