Wednesday, 2 January 2008

BRING BACK BRITISH RAIL!

About to book a rail ticket to London - let's just say I won't be travelling West Coast line. The utter chaos which passengers have been experiencing post-Christmas is completely unacceptable but an inevitable result of the fragmentation of our railways. As if that weren't bad enough, fares are going up by 15 per cent. As I blog, Gwymneth Dunwoody is railing on World At One against the situation we are now in which, as she rightly concludes, is a result of the demise of British Rail,.

" Literally billions of pounds are going into the industry but this is far from benefitting passengers because of the way it's been handled ." Time, I say, to start campaigning again on the issue of re-nationalisign the railways....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan

As you know I'm sympatheitc to public control. But according to his report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7167073.stm

the body responsible for the problems on the West Coast line is Network Rail, a de facto nationalised body. In this instance the privatised train operator is not to blame. Not exactly the best example to use to advance the case for public ownership.

Duncan Hall said...

Except, Peter, part of the problem comes from the fact that different companies run the track and operate the trains.

Can I just draw attention to a rather frivolous poll I posted on Labourhome for the Labour personality of the year?? (I know it's like BBC sports personality, I was bored, but we might as well bump up the votes for lefties!!):

Duncan Hall said...

And this time I'll actually include the link!

http://www.labourhome.org/story/2008/1/1/113214/4117

Anonymous said...

In 1995 Blair, backed by Brown, promised to renationalise the railways. Not surprised it didn't happen - don't hold your breath anytime now.

Tom said...

Mismanagement happens in all sorts of organisations.

Not sure about BR, or that 'bring back' should EVER form part of a socialist demand.

I'd like to see rolling stock operated on a not-for-profit basis though, certainly. Costs more than it did under BR to pay fat cats at stagecoach at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Dear Doctor Dunc

Responsibility for all the track is with Network Rail (de facto nationalised). And it is track relaying that is the problem in this instance. Virgin Trains aggressive and successful marketing campaign to demand an inquiry is intended to raise public awareness about problems with the de facto nationalised track provider (not that they would dream of desscribing Network Rail like that).

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/news/default.aspx#news_163

susan press said...

Peter, I am quite well aware of Network Rail's status. But they bring in outside contractors and as you say are part of the problem, not the solution. The fact is that our privatised, subsisdised railway system costs billions more than British Rail ever did , offering a fragmented, ludicrously expensive system which clearly isn't working.Taking back the franchises is not a step back but would be a way forward to a cohesive railway system that actually works. You could call it whatever you like..... as someone who uses trains a lot, I'm sick and tired of getting ripped off.

Duncan Hall said...

I understand that Peter (although why it couldn't just be actually nationalised rather than de facto puzzles me) - and work has to be done on lines and tracks have to be relayed; so a big part of the problem is the 'diversity' of ownership in rail system (the fact that part of it is sort-of state-owned doesn't really undermine that point).