Sunday, 27 January 2008

LIGHT RELIEF 2

As local readers of this blog will be aware, we have a celebrity candidate in nearby Todmorden. Stephenie Booth ( wife of Tony and mother-in-law to Tony B ) is standing as Labour 's choice for the Calderdale elections. Somehow or other ( nothing to do with me ) this has come to the attention of the Independent On Sunday - she is quoted as saying she won't be "using her connections" to try and get votes. Well I have some news for her. I know you have been away from the UK for some time Steph but I'm afraid that round here, the Blair connection is NOT a winner. And, frankly, I would play it down. As much as possible.......
Tony Booth, of course, has for many years enjoyed something of a reputation as a" fiery left winger." Which his unexpected attendance last year at a John4Leader meeting in Hebden Bridge seemed to back up. However in a recent interview, he said his next choice of Labour leader would be James Purnell or Hazel Blears.... oh dear

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

surely he was being satirical, he must have been,

surely....

susan press said...

Afraid not......supported Blears for deputy PM. Despite her stance on Iraq, which was violently opposed by Booth. In fact, met them on train to demo in 2004.

susan press said...

To be absolutely fair I daresay Tony B has known Hazel for years .....( at one time believe it or not she was vaguely left) and on some levels she is OK as I know myself from my salford days......but James Purnell... well, words fail me.......
I thought Booth was a bit of a lefty!

Anonymous said...

I'd be very happy with Blears as leader and a centre-left/left cabinet. I think she's an inspirational, genuinely nice person, with a real affinity for labour values. Her pamphlet on decency as a socialist value is well worth a read. But let's face it, she's not going to win a leadership election. And agreed, Purnell...could there be a more anonymous person?
John