I was in the audience in Manchester when Bill Clinton came to talk to Labour Conference in 2006. Many ( particularly women) apparently find his mode of oratory extremely seductive. I was amused by his references, in the American way, to "Mayor Livingstone" and "Chancellor Brown" , but overall I thought his speech was heavy on charm but very light on substance.
The Clintons, like the Blairs, have been professional politicians for decades and ooze money and influence. But they represent an era which is gone. Hilary Clinton is also white, middle-class, and probably too clever for her own good.
It would be great to have a woman in the White House. But if I were a US citizen, I would not vote for Clinton . She represents the kind of slick, centralised operation which was the role-model for New Labour in the early 1990's. Her "values" twist and turn in a cynical way which we here in Britain have had quite enough of. So I am heartily glad that Obama has won the first of the primaries in Iowa. It was even better that Clinton came third below John Edwards , who is widely regarded as the "left" Democrat candidate.
If Clinton doesn't make it, I think that sends a message to us here in the UK. A message which is very frightening for the New Labour machine. But one which should give those of us who value principles over pragmatism a reason to hope for the future.

4 comments:
Yes, the way they talk does make our shallow managerialism look a little shabby - i can't wait for the day when Labour figures start talking about values again. I thought it was changing during the deputy contest, but that's all gone now. However, i'll believe in radical change in the US when i see it. It'd be a shame if people chose on characteristics: middle-class white women vs middle-class, privately-educated, mixed-race man isn't so big a difference in my book. Edwards' emphasis on poverty eradication (albeit in 30 years...in the world's richest country) and universal insurance make him the best for me, but yeah, hopefully not Hillary - dynasties just don't look right in a democracy.
John
We shouldn't forget that it was Clinton in 1996 who removed welfare benefits from some of the poorest people in the US, a model all
UK parties seem to be following. In terms of the US election, I think Edwards is the best of the bunch, he has made fighting poverty the cornerstone of this campaign, his parents and grandparents were all blue collar workers and talking about their lives, he sounded sincere. Having said that, if he got in, it may become just fine words.
Don't hope too hard. Obama takes more money from the private health industry than any republican and doesn't support universal health coverage.
Great to see a black man winning in America's third whitest state but claiming he's a breath of fresh air compared to our managerialism with vague generalisations about 'repairing America"!
Still if elected people can blog in a couple of years about the big let down. Edwards is the left candidate.
And talking of left candidates great meeting last week with 30 or so people turing up to support Janet Osthuysen's campaign for Council up in Hebden Bridge. Great turnout for a single Labour Ward.
I know Edwards is the left candidate but in an Obama/Clinton race he would still be favoured option.
Post a Comment