Wednesday, 12 November 2008

CONVENTION OF LEFT HEADS SOUTH

Last night an inquorate Branch meeting. By way of contrast a friend of mine in West London went the other night to a packed meeting in Ealing called by the Convention Of The Left. Around 60 people were there and speakers were John McDonnell MP and Andrew Fisher from LEAP. You can read a detailed account of the evening from Andrew on the blog.
On Saturday, I will be moving a resolution at the LRC Conference urging support for another Convention Of The Left in Brighton 2009. This is NOT to replace Labour Party activity. We must continue to build the LRC as much as we can across the country and I'm committed to devoting as much time to that as I can. But the harsh fact is that the Labour Left within the Party is currently pretty demoralised
Im West Yorkshire, we have been fortunate enough to build an LRC which I hope will contiunue to grow - but it can be utterly soul-destroying being the only leftie in a constituency. By meeting other like minds, not all necessarily in the Labour Party, we can at least discuss issues and plan joint campaigns, without handing in our Party cards. We also pass on the vital message there are still socialists within Labour and even persuade others to join us.
The Manchester COL group meets Monday night at the Friends Meeting House 7pm. And there is a Recall Conference now re-scheduled to Saturday January 24 2009. Post to go up shortly explaining all about that.

No comments: