Sunday, 16 November 2008

LRC CONFERENCE AND OTHER ISSUES

I got home tonight after a six-hour journey - plenty of chance to mull things over on the bus.
Including this blog. I've had nearly 80,000 readers since it started in 2007 which is hardly hits of the Iain Dale variety but as Labour Left blogs go it's one of the most popularAnd I really appreciate all the positive comments and support I have had along the way.
Yesterday's LRC Conference was an extremely successful one. More people than last year. More input from the regions. Great speeches from all the platform. But still not enough representation from outside London on the National Committee or indeed in the audience. Those two issues need addressing in the coming year.
I was particularly pleased to learn LRC Scotland will be launched early in 2009 and I intend to be there in Glasgow and meet many of the people who were unable to make the journey south yesterday. I was also pleased that our resolution supporting plans for another Convention Of The Left was overwhelmingly supported .
The message yesterday from LRC Chair John McDonnell was clear - the LRC must work within and outside Labour if it is to fulfil its role as a focal point for campaigns and positive strategies to combat New Labour. And we cannot afford, as LRC Secretary Simeon Andrews so rightly said, to stay in the "comfort zone" of purely Labour Party activity.
Before heading back this afternoon I attended a meeting of the NUJ Left at which several LRC members were present. We are already planning for a conference in the spring.
But conferences and meetings are not enough.
It's fairly easy to attend these events if you're a seasoned activist but the really hard bit is getting out on the front line and building the contacts and respect only earned by hard campaigning graft. Comrades in Manchester, for example, are regularly picketing outside Northern Rock, newly nationalised but repossessing homes at a scandalous rate. I would like to see the LRC involved in more campaigns of this kind.
My commiserations go to the comrades from the north and other parts of the country who did not get elected. Perhaps we need to look at how the NC elections are structured to give them a fairer chance but that's an issue for another day.
Congratulations due to Alice Mahon, though, who got a huge amount of support - she will be a tremendous asset to the National Committee.
Above all, I hope we can all work together in a positive and constructive way to build the LRC. We have done well in West Yorkshire but I acknowledge there is a long long way to go.
I hope that the election of a Vice-Chair from outside London will send a message of solidarity to the comrades in places like Newcastle , Sheffield and Liverpool that their voices are just as important. And it should also be acknowledged that their task , so far from London, is that much harder. I do not think this is always appreciated by those who live south of Watford Gap.
Finally, a heartfelt thankyou to all those who helped me get elected.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,

Congratulations on your election yesterday. I was present at the conference and am happy to admit that I voted for you.

Although I didn't get elected to the National Committee I would certainly relish the opportunity to assist the LRC in any way possible. I am really very keen on exploring the possibility of student groups.

I was very suprised that people standing for selection didn't have the opportunity to talk. A mere one hundred word statement doesn't give one much of a chance to effectively put across what would make them an effective committee member or officer. Or to put across much about their experience.

However aside from the issue of elections it seems to me that the LRC isn't very effectively hitting up constituency parties and putting across their message very well at all. I speak from experience when I say that there are many CLPs sympathetic to the views of the LRC.

I don't think there is a reason as to why we can't have people spread out on GCs all around the country making the LRCs case at a grassroots level. And of course regional committees should be considered as well for there is no possible way for a centralised London committee can respond to local issues, or to even be aware of things going on (for example) Somerset. It is certainly something in need of some strong consideration.

Regards,

Lee Skevington

susan press said...

Thanks Lee. I think you have a point about the elections and the difficulties of explaining all in 100 words - something to lok at for next time.
Re building LRC in your area - If you e-mail me with more details of your CLP etc I will do my best to help.My e-mail is SsPre2@aol.com

Duncan Hall said...

Getting the message to CLPs is a really good point. Party members are routinely sent Progress through the post (is it all members or just CLP officers? Either way it's an awfully big venture) - the venture is clearly funded by unions, many of which are affiliated to the LRC!

I know the debate about linking the LRC and Briefing has been and gone - but I do feel that there is a vast untapped body of opinion in the party who it is very difficult to get through to - whether through online activity or through meetings, etc. Reaching outside our 'comfort zone' is all well and good and should be done - but we're not reaching everyone in our comfort zone yet!!

susan press said...

No we're not Duncan! Send me an invite to Skipton CLP and i will be there .......

Merseymike said...

I'm writing as someone not really part of any grouping within the party - indeed, no longer an actual member of the party, but have been thinking about whether its time to join again.

I think there are a lot of people like me. To the left of new Labour, perhaps not necessarily seeing ourselves as 'Labour left' but able to recognise that we need to move forward in a recognisably social democratic way, significantly different from the Tories.

The problem I have is that there still seems to be so much sectarianism - you have to sign on the dotted line, and to be honest I find that difficult, because I don't feel that my views really fit easily into any one of the ginger groups. For example, I'm socially and culturally libertarian and want to see the abolition of faith schools and the legalisation of voluntary euthanasia, but I'm not in favour of the return of secondary picketing....

Perhaps its a case of seeing what issues we are united on and where we can see that we need to stress our absolute difference from the tories - which may be easier now they are sliding back to monetarism

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Susan!

I agree with the above comments in that i think more needs to be done to contact members in CLPs across the country. I will readily admit that i joined the LP on the back of the John4Leader campaign last year and i've not yet got along to CLP meetings (my 2009 resolution) with being busy working for the NHS and studying through the OU. it does seem paramount that more is done to contact potential supporters in CLPs - not in a fragmented way but in a systemic fashion.

I know it's difficult when LRC groups outside of London are ad hoc and not fully going, however i think a big aim of 2009, with the support and direction from the central LRC is to get these groups firstly more organised and cohearent and secondly more organised communication between the LRC groups outside of London.

Maybe, as Vice-Chair for 2009 that could be you aim, to get the LRC groups functioning.

Lastly, on contacting CLPs and the cost and difficulty in doing this. I think any material that is sent out to CLPs and individual members has to be of good quality - it would not be as effective having it done in fits and starts. I think material needs to be drawn up from central LRC to give it maximum credibility with mission statements aims etc etc and distributed to local LRCs who in turn can dispense it to local CLPs. Possibly a more comprehensive information pack (with more flair) could be sent to each CLP and a basic but personal letter to each CLP member just to 'make contact'

I truly hope they manage something along these lines

JC

If they managed this it would be a huge leap for the LRC and whould enable them to guage grassroot support.

susan press said...

Jon, I agree the regional push has to be our priority for 2009. Will do all I can to move it forward.The lines you suggested are excellent.....