Owing to dire financial circumstances, I have just had to cancel my on-line subscription to the Morning Star. So it's good news that the only left daily paper in the UK is apparently to be free on the internet come January.
The news is particularly welcome as Tribune seems to be terminally ill, and last week I heard that the monthly Socialist Campaign Group News, admittedly dull and worthy but one of the few media platforms there is for the Labour Left, was also to go under.
It could well be that the days of viable left print publications are numbered. And for a long time it has been seemingly an impossible task to sustain them. Lack of advertising and a myriad of other problems saw off the left-of-centre News On Sunday within weeks way back in 1987.
In an ideal world, I still think the LRC should have its own publication but unfortunately attempts to make Labour Briefing the official voice of the LRC came to nought last year. And it could well be that we have to find new ways of operating and gettting our message across. An on-line Labour Left publication could well be the answer.
All it takes is people with the appropriate IT expertise, others with the ability to write and comment and of course boundless enthusiam and commitment because there is never any money..... I hope this is something we can address early in the New Year when we should give the new re-vamped Morning Star on-line as much support as we possibly can. It's by no means perfect as a publication. But in a media world dominated by the metropolitan Islington mafia , the Star is one of the best assets we have.

17 comments:
"I have just had to cancel my on-line subscription to the Morning Star."
Not all bad, then, poverty!
I wonder why we still spend so much time trying to keep print media going when we can do what you and I are doing now. The internet has eaten into paper sale significantly anyway. As the web is far less easy to control content wise, this should be seen as a good thing from the point of view of the left.
But not, Tom, from the point of view of journalists who are losing their jobs....
And in response to D Duff, as he well knows having to cancel one's subscription to Morning Star is hardly poverty, just a bit of regrettable sail-trimming....which is why I'm glad it's going to be free.
The Morning Star is an excellent base to provide for a rebuilding of the Left
I hope the web site reflects excellent articles in the paper
A lot of hyperbolic nonsense is talked about the effects of the internet on print journalism. Some think the internet is the Gravest Threat Ever to the industry, while others think it's so great it can practically cure cancer. Neither perspective is true. Both can and should be able to co-exist, even if some scaling down is inevitable. Look at last week's US elections - sales of papers were up 30 per cent because people wanted souvenirs of a momentous event, and wanted to kick back and read AT LENGTH. When the entire nation gets RSI and eye strain in 20 years time we may regret the amount of time we spend on computers.
Of course, a good inclusive left website is needed; ditto a newspaper. Because too much of our literature - and, regrettably, for all its uses I'd include the Morning Star in this - is not particularly engagingly or entertainingly written.
Yes they should be able to co-exist but freelances have suffered and on-line sections of newspapers ( apart from the nationals) are under-resourced in terms of staff and finances. The NUJ needs to ensure that web journalists work in solidarity with their print colleagues. Re Morning Star: I think it does best it can and hope the new on-line initiative will give it more room to breathe and more room for articles
Absolutely Susan. And print journalists also need to show solidarity with their web colleagues who, while simultaneously being lauded as The Bright New Future are also often far more vulnerable to exploitation and poor pay. And needless to say in such a general climate freelance contributors to websites get grievously ripped off.
If you want a good online publication carrying a range of interesting left views, the London Progressive Journal (every friday) is worth a look.
Susan,
Why not start a left leaning newspaper style daily blog yourself. You would obviously need a living wage for your effort and time, and this can surely be acheivable from a small monthly subscription (#5 say) from wellwishers, supporters and readers. I would gladly pay a subscription for such a publication.
Colin, thankyou very much for the kind words which are much appreciated. Perhaps one day I will be in a position to do something along those lines . Until then, give the Google ads a click! I'm on course to earn another fifty quid by Christmas.....
As for articles in the Morning Star being "not particularly engagingly or entertainingly written", I can't speak for every contributor, but my columns on Fridays are engaging, entertaining and full of revelations - and that's a scientific fact.
Solomon Hughes
I actually think this is great news, for all its faults having a left wing daily which does cover many basic issues as well as international affairs and which is easily accessible must be good for genuinely progressively forces. I also actually think more people will end up donating as they begin to feel some 'ownership' of the paper.
and for those who like sport , (not me) they have pretty good coverage
I agree that Solomon's column is very good, btw. I think the news stories could be a bit less stodgy in presentation - too many blithe quotes from trade union leaders, not enough analysis.
Really Really good news about the Morning Star
Its starting to come out of its shell
I think its web pages will become a very important place to visit
Lets hope it comes soon and secures the backing it deserves from the trade union and wider Labour Movement
The Morning Star needs fewer quotes from Lindsey German (I wont condem 9/11)and her friends in the SWP and more from the mainstream Left
The Morning Star needs to broaden its appeal not get in a telephone box with the trots
yes get the Morning Star online ASAP
Post a Comment