Wednesday, 11 March 2009

ON THE PICKET LINE.......

Today I was in Leeds to show solidarity with NUJ members on strike at the Yorkshire Post. With me on the picket line was Alice Mahon who has been a stalwart supprter of mine in the campaign to be PPC in Keighley. The final vote is on Saturday and I will be giving it my best shot. I've made it clear all along I am not a career politican and I'm standing in Keighley as a credible candidate for a West Yorkshire constituency. I still hope I can win.

However, in my own constituency of Calder Valley we are still without a PPC following the de-selection of Janet Oosthuysen, an excellent candidate and friend who fell foul of an orchestrated media campaign against her. This NEC decision left many of us saddened - and also resolved to carry on the fight for a candidate who could win a highly marginal seat. When I applied for Keighley, there was no vacancy in Calder Valley. There is now - and the timing , unfortunately, means the two selections overlap. So, if I don't win on Saturday, I will immediately start another campaign in my own constituency. Only one other candidate, Stephenie Booth, has put her name forward. Watch this space........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Susan. It would be nice to have a few MP's who are socialists

Merseymike said...

Good luck. I think many people will have been disgusted by the personal campaign against Janet and will want to ensure that any replacement candidate has no connection with those who orchestrated this unpleasantness