Saturday, 14 March 2009

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.....

The bad news is I did not win Keighley today. The good news is I came second out of an original 10 candidates. That's not bad going for a complete outsider from a wing of the Party which has been granted pariah status for the last 10 years. But, obviously, not good enough.
I wish Jane Thomas, who won , all the best in winning Keighley again for Labour. The selection process was conducted with exemplary fairness as much as it can be. But it is not the level playing field which it should be. Points there to be raised with the NEC........My immediate task is to ensure I am now on the ballot paper in Calder Valley and carry on the grassroots fight which was started by my friend and council colleague Janet Oosthuysen. I have a team already in place - we're going to be late starters as you cannot ride two horses at once. But let me stress I am not downhearted. I'm strengthened and delighted by the support I got in Keighley. And I intend to carry on......

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan

I am disappointed that you didn't win as you put up an excellent performance. I hope you do better elsewhere and that you make it to Westminster.

Best wishes for the future.

Paul Godwin

Duncan Hall said...

Hi Susan - that's a shame; I think you'd have done a lot of good in Keighley.

Good luck for Calder Valley.

susan press said...

Duncan and Paul, many thanks.
It was a major consolation to me that I know i could not have written a better speech and that people felt I'd done well. Messages much appreciated......

Anonymous said...

fantastically well done. Onwards and upwards!

Lee Skevington said...

Dear Susan,

Awfully sorry to hear that you didn't make it but from what I can see you put forth a good campaign and did your best. I wish you all the best in Calder Valley!

Fr Simon said...

Well done for getting so close. And good luck with the carrying on!

Merseymike said...

Second is very impressive - and given the circumstances in Calder Valley I feel sure that there will be many who want to ensure that an independent-minded socialist becomes the candidate there. You would get my vote and I'm not on the 'left' as defined

Anonymous said...

bugger

Ravi Gopaul said...

I am sad to hear you were not selected, but as others have said coming second is pretty good.

I hope that you are successful elsewhere, maybe a return to the North West?

E10 Rifle said...

Bad luck Susan. But there's reasons to be encouraged, as you say. Good luck in Calder Valley.