Today's Guardian has this piece in Comment Is Free on the Welfare Reform Bill. These are the proposals peter Hain binned as a step too far when he was DWP Minister. Sadly, they were exhumed. I'm not going to comment - the piece by John McDonnell clearly explains why the Bill is one which should be opposed and the comments, I'm afraid, speak for themselves.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/17/john-mcdonnell-welfare-reform-labour
Tuesday, 17 March 2009
WELFARE REFORM BILL - DEBATE TODAY IN PARLIAMENT
Posted by
susan press
at
13:52
Labels: Welfare Reform Bill
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I've been told Labour did not need the Tories to get this through, which I think just about sums up the way New Labour has gone of late. Being disabled I've done everything I can to find work, going through long painful training programs, going to so called work rehabilitation, I've done work programs and the one thing nobody has done is offer me a job. As one employer said to me look mate if I was to employ you I need to employ somebody to look after you and of course he is right.
I never though Labour would be the party to dismantle the welfare state, but really it does not surprise me anymore.
So, the Bill has now had its third reading, and as Robert notes, got though without even needing the Tories, so the great majority of L/P M.P's have voted for workfare, shame on them.
These are the MP's who voted against.
Just 30 Labour MP's voted against workfare.
Profoundly depressing.
Alexander, Danny
Baker, Norman
Barrett, John
Beith, rh Sir Alan
Brooke, Annette
Burgon, Colin LAB
Burt, Lorely
Campbell, rh Sir Menzies
Campbell, Mr. Ronnie LAB
Carmichael, Mr. Alistair
Caton, Mr. Martin LAB
Clark, Ms Katy LAB
Clegg, rh Mr. Nick
Cook, Frank LAB
Corbyn, Jeremy LAB
Cousins, Jim LAB
Davey, Mr. Edward
Davies, Mr. Dai
Dobson, rh Frank LAB
Drew, Mr. David LAB
Farron, Tim
Flynn, Paul LAB
Foster, Mr. Don
George, Andrew
Gibson, Dr. Ian LAB
Gidley, Sandra
Godsiff, Mr. Roger LAB
Goldsworthy, Julia
Grogan, Mr. John LAB
Harris, Dr. Evan
Harvey, Nick
Havard, Mr. Dai LAB
Heath, Mr. David
Hemming, John
Hoey, Kate LAB
Holmes, Paul
Horwood, Martin
Howarth, David
Huhne, Chris
Hunter, Mark
Iddon, Dr. Brian LAB
Jones, Lynne LAB
Kennedy, rh Mr. Charles
Kilfoyle, Mr. Peter LAB
Kramer, Susan
Lamb, Norman
Laws, Mr. David
Leech, Mr. John
Llwyd, Mr. Elfyn
Martlew, Mr. Eric LAB
Mason, John
McDonnell, John LAB
McFall, rh John LAB
Mitchell, Mr. Austin LAB
Moore, Mr. Michael
Mulholland, Greg
Oaten, Mr. Mark
Prentice, Mr. Gordon LAB
Price, Adam
Reid, Mr. Alan
Rennie, Willie
Riordan, Mrs. Linda LAB
Rogerson, Dan
Rowen, Paul
Russell, Bob
Sanders, Mr. Adrian
Simpson, Alan LAB
Skinner, Mr. Dennis LAB
Smith, Sir Robert
Stunell, Andrew
Taylor, David LAB
Taylor, Dr. Richard
Teather, Sarah
Truswell, Mr. Paul
Wareing, Mr. Robert N.
Webb, Steve
Weir, Mr. Mike
Williams, Hywel
Williams, Mark
Williams, Mr. Roger
Williams, Stephen
Willott, Jenny
Wishart, Pete
Wood, Mike LAB
Younger-Ross, Richard
Tellers for the Ayes:
Mr. Neil Gerrard LAB and
Kelvin Hopkins LAB
Post a Comment