Friday, 20 March 2009

WELFARE REFORM REBELS

In the past two years in which I have been writing this blog, the same names crop up again and again.
Moat of those ( if not all) in the list below are also the names of those who did not want to see a coronation of Gordon Brown as Leader in 2007. They are the names of those who opposed Trident, 42 Days, et etc etc
I attedned the lobby of Parliament on the Welfare Reform issue a couple of weeks ago and I wish those hundreds of labour MPs who have now supported this disgraceful piece of legislation had been there too. It was frankly shaming to hear disabled people, trade unionists, and lifetime labour supporters denounce what this Government is doing in the name of Labour. Most sid they would never, EVER vote labour again. This was not some far left rally either - there were speakers from Child Poverty Action Group, Neal Lawson from Compass gave a speech and UNITE Gen Sec Tony Woosdley was among the most vociferous in opposition . MPs Katy Clark and John McDonnell explained theu would be doing their best in parliament via various amendments and opposition. The result, unfortunately, is their efforts have gone largely ignored by the vasy majority of MPs.
In standing recently as a PPC in Keighley, my aim was to be selected as a candidate who WOULD stand up and be counted when it mattered. It's not about being a rebel for the sake of it, it is about honouring the legacy of previous Labour administrations who would never have dreamt of forced labour for the unemployed - or privatising the Royal Mail.
One wonders who exactly will be left on the left after the next Election to carry the flag.

Colin Burgon,
Ronnie Campbell
Martin Caton
Katy Clark,
Frank Cook
Jeremy Corbyn
Jim Cousins
Frank Dobson
David Drew
Paul Flynn
Ian Gibson
Roger Godsiff
John Grogan
Dai Havard
Brian Iddon
Lynne Jones
Peter Kilfoyle
Eric Martlew
JohnMcDonnell,
John McFall
Austin Mitchell
Gordon Prentice
Alan Simpson
Dennis Skinner
Mike Wood
Neil Gerrard
Kelvin Hopkins
David Taylor
Linda Riordan

11 comments:

Duncan Hall said...

Good for them. There are one or two pretty shameful missing names...

I thought John's speech in the debate was a tour de force. Didn't hear it; but it reads superbling in Handsard. Such a shame parliament is so dominated by the executive. The argument was overwhelmingly won by the antis in the debate - but winning the debate has little effect.

Tom said...

Do we know who the abstainers were?

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise John McFall was on the list. He's fast becoming my fave parliamentarian. Why has nooone ever mooted his leadership chances - the guy actually understands socialist economic, is razor sharp, and a proper person all the way through.

Merseymike said...

Problem is that its impossible to know if it was an actual abstention or whether the MP had an arranged absence from Parliament

Duncan Hall said...

Did I really type 'superbling' and 'Handsard'? I suppose I must have done, as I can't imagine Susan would be editing me to look like a moron... Must have been tired!

Duncan Hall said...

Also - while it's good to see my old mucker John Grogan on the list, it's rather disappointing that the strong line that Compass has taken on this hasn't translated into parliamentary votes in any great numbers. I'm not making a sectarian point - there are some disappointing "hard left" MPs missing from the list too - just disappointing.

Robert said...

Two that did not vote was Trickett and Cruddas two people who state they are the left, yes Blairites left.

susan press said...

Yes, it seems there is a gulf between the people like neal Lawson, who spoke well at the rally, and the MPs like Cruddas and Trickett who did not publicly back the Compass line.....

Borges said...

Good on ye for defending the rights of those who have lost out in this Wild Capitalism!

Robert said...

I've got an offer to meet with Purnell or if not meet write to him personally, you can see his reply on Purnells comments on welfare reforms on Labourlist.

Anonymous said...

Lawson, who spoke well at the rally, and the MPs like Cruddas and Trickett who did not publicly back the Compass line..... sohbet