Thursday, 22 May 2008

WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Just back from chairing first council meeting as official Chair/Mayor and fighting measures to cut funding to our local Arts Festival. Lost the vote. That's democracy. But I hope local people will take on board the fact that those who were on their side were the Labour Party Left.
We will continue to do our best and I acknowledge that we have a huge job of work to do. But , reading the comments on John McDonnell's article today in CiF, can I say that those who sanction us leaving Labour are missing the point utterly. We stay .We fight. And we're not giving in and heading off into political oblivion. Here's the link to why the LRC has exactly the right answers. The answers which will inspire people to support Real Labour -whatever happens tomorrow night in Crewe and Nantwich.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/john_mcdonnell/2008/05/beyond_prudence.html

9 comments:

Tom said...

Grim, a majority of folks in the LRC have been sitting directly in the middle of political oblivion for the last 20 years. The real question is how they will find their way out.

susan press said...

As the LRC was only founded four years ago that is factually incorrect.
What are you saying? Apart, obviously, from trying to be insulting.
Presumably the Left will find a way back to elctoral popularity via policies which bring more council housing, less privatisation, a fairer tax system, in short the policies in John McDonnell's May manifesto - most of which are supprted by your colleagues in COMPASS. Obviously they do not share your distaste for LRC policy.
I don't find snide comments particularly helpful and I think , having lived through them, I know rather more about the last 20 years than you do.

susan press said...

As the LRC was only founded four years ago that is factually incorrect.
What are you saying? Apart, obviously, from trying to be insulting.
Presumably the Left will find a way back to elctoral popularity via policies which bring more council housing, less privatisation, a fairer tax system, in short the policies in John McDonnell's May manifesto - most of which are supprted by your colleagues in COMPASS. Obviously they do not share your distaste for LRC policy.
I don't find snide comments particularly helpful and I think , having lived through them, I know rather more about the last 20 years than you do.

E10 Rifle said...

Yeah, if someone from Compass can actually point out what these vast differences between us in the LRC and them actually are (and it would be a first), I'd be grateful. We're basically arguing for the same stuff here, policy-wise here, Miller. Why the sneering?

Ravi Gopaul said...

When New Labour have finally finished trashing the party for all its worth if will be up to the left of the party (COMPASS and LRC) to pick up the pieces. My view is we should unite under a single banner and (when) there is a leadership campaign throw our collective weight behind a left candidate. The orginisation must honour the best tradtions of both COMPASS and the LRC and present themselves as a voice for democratic socialism (or social democracy to me they are the same thing)in the party. It might need certain concessions on either side but we would be a potent force in the party if we unite.

Anonymous said...

"I hope local people will take on board the fact that those who were on their side were the Labour Party Left."

So do I, that is, those who were on the side of spending taxpaters' money on totally useless so-called 'Arts Centres' and all the leeches who draw salaries for running these places which only a tiny, miniscule number of people ever visit for the very good reason that most of the 'art' on display is rubbish. If indeed they do remember, then it will all help to bring about another Crewe & Nantwich to Hebden Bridge!

Duncan Hall said...

Ravi - I agree that groups on the left and centre-left need to work together where possible, but I think, any efforts to form one uber group (unless we are to call it the Labour Party!!) would be doomed to failure because (just as with the leadership/deputy leadership issue) all the compromise would be expected to come from our side.

Ravi Gopaul said...

I was telling (read boring!!) my missus with this idea last night, I even came up with a name (Labour Values)!!!!

Seriously though I hear what you are saying Dunc (by the way didn’t you have a beard?) and it is a fair point. Whilst we would have no problem supporting a compass MP for the leadership I can't see many of them supporting an LRC candidate as was seen in the coronation debacle.

But as you allude to in your response, New Labour is in the minority. They can only remain in power whilst we on the left are squabbling amongst ourselves. With regard to compromise, I honestly don't think there would have to be much real compromise to form an alliance as was said above the aims of both groups are the same. Just think a unified disciplined force on the left putting forward an alternative agenda, voting blocks of LRC/Compass MPs conveying true Labour policies. When the time comes this block could provide and nominate a left wing leadership contender to challenge New Labour. Also with the pooled resources of the LRC and Compass (and not missing out the left leaning unions) there would be a big enough grouping in the party to secure a left winger as party leader and ultimately as PM.

Duncan Hall said...

The beard comes and goes, Ravi!