Tuesday, 21 October 2008

BAILING MYSELF OUT...

In recent weeks I have pondered various ways of making extra money. The latest was a book called Credit Crunch Tips on the lines of those household hints you see in women's magazines. I've had some good ideas. In Haworth on Saturday a friend and I came up with the idea of sharing pub lunches ( half the cost, half the calories) and , given the size of meals in Yorkshire, you don't even go hungry. I've also just signed up to something called Freecycle in the hope of culling a re-conditioned vacuum cleaner ( the cat has so far dispatched two this year) for nothing. Then I got an e-mail from a contact saying there would be no commissions for several months and reality broke into this whimsical musing. I'm now at that crunch moment when outgoings are exceeding incomings. I'm also a bit sick of red-stickered food and Christmas is staring me in the face with no prospect at all of new freelance work. In short, it's time to look for a full-time job. Labour movement, media-related. I give myself six months to find something and if that fails well, plan B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Freecycle is excellent!, i have had some pretty good things off it such as a top quality couch, i have also given away lots of PC stuff, etc. Imo, its a win win, people get things they need and much less goes in the lanfill dump.

However, I do hope N/Labour keep their authoritarian hands off it though, they have already changed many Credit Unions beyond recognition, losing a lot of the initial community spirit, you can just see some of them going private, etc at some point...

Anyway, go for it!