Friday, 3 October 2008

PRINCE OF DARKNESS RETURNS......

I've been feeling pretty poorly and out of it for the past few days - so much so that I had no idea till just a few minutes ago that Peter Mandelson had returned to Government. Let's just say it has not improved my health one iota.

One can only echo John McDonnell's response ie to being "gobsmacked" at this appalling development . The appointment is also of course an utter slap in the face for all those soft lefties who have been rallying round to Brown's defence in recent weeks.
I include in that people like Jon Cruddas and of course the trade union leaders who have deluded themselves that Brownism is somehow different from Blairism. Tony Woodley 's justification for not demanding more radical policies is always that at least it's not the "Blair witch project." Today, according to the Independent, they were "too shocked " to comment.I bet they are. Becayse the Blair Witch project has risen from the dead , is back in the Government casting spells , and frankly we might as well bring back Blair because he never really went away. So if there is anyone out there still with hopes that Brown would herald a bew political era, prepare to bury them once and for all now. Mandy, and all he represents, is back in Government. UPDATE 6.07pm. Just seen Mandelson on news and Brown's justification for bringing him back. This is truly a last ditch throw of the dice for New Labour. Now I shall resume trying to get over vile virus......

9 comments:

Tom said...

I don't see why this is a slap in the face. I'm not sure exactly who expected the front banches to be packed with Hamiltons, Cruddases and Tricketts.

New Labour is the least of our worries at this moment in time. Rightly so.

susan press said...

Tom, don't you see that it is because Brown has NOT ditched New labour, indeed seems hell-bent on resurrecting it, that Labour is losing core support by the day. The appointment of Mandelson is frankly mystifying and insane - it does nothing to show the public Brown has anything new to offer - quite the oppposite. Mandelson also represents all that was wrong with New Labour ie spin .Astonishing, really.

Robert said...

I do not know perhaps it's time for Hain to come back, both have problems with knowing what is legal money and what is not, or that you must tell people if thats your money or somebody else's. better still anyone with a million to give Labour can have a passport of visa, just put donation on the brown envelope or with Labour the paper bag.

Sadly New Labour is alive and well

Spenny said...

Hi Susan,

Greetings from South Korea! I thought it was some sick joke that Mandelson was reappointed, but clearly Gordon's remaining marbles appear to have deserted him.

And I agree that this appointment is a kick in the pills to those who have backed Brown in the last few weeks. It's unsurprising that the biggest cheerleaders of this appointment have been the business community.

Shameful.

Duncan Hall said...

I'm sure he'll have resigned by the end of the week, so let's not fret!

Actually this is perhaps Brown's most particularly and especially daft move(and it has some stiff competition).

E10 Rifle said...

Christ, what a thing to be confronted with on return from holiday.

One of the things about this wretched appointment that has had little attention is its complete lack of democratic legitimate. Mandelson is no longer an elected politician; he has no mandate to be in the government. And the honours system (much though I oppose it in principle anyway) is supposed, in theory, to reward people who achieve good things not people who are drenched in sleaze and impropriety, as Mandelson is.

It's rare I concur with any Daily Mail headline but their front page today - "Arise Lord Sleaze" - is gonna have a lot of traction. As a populist move it betrays a lack of political judgment and understanding of the current public mood - the man is despised across the spectrum, not just by those of us on the left.

Anonymous said...

I bet Brown thinks he can control him.

That the benefits of Mandleson, i.e. appeasing the Blairites and getting great electoral strategy, will outweigh his detracting factors.

It won't work.

Mark Still News said...

He is a liability-what the hell is going on?

Anonymous said...

great morning star front page today