I have just got back very late from a meeting in Manchester to discover that our PPC selection is now on hold till...January. This is because certain members of our constituency have seen fit to go to the right-wing media with bogus, utterly unfounded allegations about our candidate which now have to be investigated. I really hope they are pleased that campaigning in this highly marginal constituency is now further on hold, which will only derail our chances of winning - already slight. It is utterly despicable conduct. Unlike them, I will not be ringing the newsdesks with further tittle-tattle which can only damage the Labour Party. But let me say that, if we on the left had lost the vote in July, it would have been regarded as a fair and square decision. It seems that some people cannot accept they have lost the political argument - and choose to resort to personal vendettas which, had we the financial wherewithal, would end up in the libel courts. An utter disgrace.
Wednesday, 22 October 2008
MY PARTY RIGHT....OR WRONG
Posted by
susan press
at
00:45
Labels: Calder Valley, Parliamentary selections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Dou you want any support? Letters, motions etc?
The party machine is powerful but partisan - it is not the servant of the party it is the servant of the leadership. As such it has become involved in virtually every parliamentary selection to ensure that left candidates are either excluded or defeated. Fight the power!
There are some unpleasant people on the left, eg certain SWP leaders, etc, but it is on the right wing of the LP that the really odious characters reside, this is, as you say a disgrace
so what if she is friendly with a Tory
its the real world
its what you say and do that counts
Well if its what you say and do, since she was chosen as ppc she hasn't done a thing.
Considering what's happened over the past 3 months that's appalling, a real missed opportunity. She should have been in the press a couple of times a week ever since the selection and having stalls, canvassing, organising petitions etc
dietman, whoever you are. As I thought I had made clear, the reason our campaigning is on hold is precisely because the selection is on hold. These were our instructions from the regional Labour Party which of course we have had to stick to to the letter. Which is why it is so iniquitous that people have chosen to sabotage the process in this way.
Campaigning 'on hold'? my arse! What sort of socialists are you people! Real socialists campaign all year round. If the ppc gets dumped are you going to campaign with whoever replaces her or are you going to sulk?
The chosen ppc could have been campaigning about socialist values without describing herself as ppc, raising her profile in the constituency in this way with visible support [eg letters in the press]from other members would have made it hard for the NEC to reject her.
ps i'm just a distant observer sad to see members of my former party misbehaving
Of course we campaign....bith Janet and I are on the local council and acive in local campaigns as well as being members of the LRC and active in the Trades Council.
I don't really think the general election campaign's going to be won in a hippie enclave pop. c1966. If you google her name there's nothing since april and nothing to speak of outside said enclave - given the events nationally nevermind what must have been happening in the constituency it's a poor show that's all i can say.
Janet almost won Calder ward in May. No thanks to people like you, Dietman. As I have already said, the Labour team locally does a lot of work,Google or no Google. So please go away and take your unpleasant remarks with you
Hi, I am no LRC supporter nor did I would I have voted for Janet as PPC - however, I do have to say that dietman's points are off the mark. Calder Valley is an all encompassing constituency - from Brighouse to Tod and covers much more than a 'hippie (sic) enclave, which I am guessing is your description of HB. We didn't win the last 3 elections in Calder Valley as a rural enclave coup and - sorry Susan - we are unlikely to with LRC policies in terms of the general electorate, despite the current make up of the DLP . Let's hope whatever happens the party campaigns together.
We won the last election because we pleaded with people (literally) to recognise that Chris McCafferty was NOT entirely New Labour and had voted against Iraq etc etc etc.I would certainly not describe HB any more as a hippy enclave and Janet's success in May was because she appealed to mainstream Labour voters. Of course the Party should campaign together but when people conduct a malicious, slanderous campaign against our chosen PPC kind of difficult, isn't it?
Post a Comment