The last time I travelled to London it took a miserable five hours ( two to get to Leeds 25 miles away) and it was fortunate I was staying overnight with friends and had a chance to recuperate after a gruellingjourney. Weekend journeys all over the country are systematically made difficult by enginerring works. Some is necessary, some unavoidable. But it's simply appalling that Network Rail can't get its act together sufficiently to avoid the £14 million fine imposed by Ofrail for its failure to deliver in the New Year.
Ironically, the decision comes on the day that the NR chairman, Sir Ian McAllister - who stayed at home during the crisis, saying he would only get in the way if he went in to work - is officially knighted at Buckingham Palace. You couldn't, as they say, make it up.
Thursday, 28 February 2008
LET'S GET THE RAILWAYS BACK ON TRACK
Posted by
susan press
at
10:21
Labels: Network Rail
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Quite right, Susan, they should re-nationalise it ... er, oh dear, I've just remembered, they did, some time ago.
Er, no they haven't . That's the problem.....work is still being putsourced and the individual railway ompanies are still in hands of private sector.
Sorry, Susan, but Network Rail which is responsible for the track system was nati..., (oops, sorry, I nearly used that 'n' word again!) taken back into public ownership sometime ago and even if they do outsource the contracts they are responsible for overseeing them.
Post a Comment