Friday, 19 December 2008

BAH HUMBUG.....


I could blame it on the fact I have attended at least half a dozen Christmas plays and carol services in my Mayoral capacity. Could blame last weekend's whistle-stop tour of France and London involving sundry political meetings.

The fact is that every Christmas I end up utterly panic-stricken in the last three days and posting cards on the very last day where it's humanly possible they get there in time. Presents still remain to be bought and I have just done a rabbit caught in headlights tour of the local shops to get the pressies for the friends am meeting tonight for dinner.

One year I got so panic-stricken that I ended up buying the same book for a friend I had bought him for his birthday ( Karl Marx by Francis Wheen) . This year on my birthday he returned the compliment by buying me a DVD version of a video bought several years before.......I hope this experience is not repeated tonight when we all meet up at the St Petersburg restaurant in Manchester. A new culinary experience which I also hope is better than my last experience of Russian food in Leningrad in 1989, when our delegation all ended up with food poisoning. To be honest, it's got to the stage where my dearest wish is probably an alcohol-free few days at a vegan health spa. Still, on with the festivities......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"buying the same book for a friend I had bought him for his birthday ( Karl Marx by Francis Wheen)"

Good grief, dare one ask which book you would buy for an enemy?

susan press said...

Probably the same for you....might learn something!