The Times reports an interesting exchange between the Archbishop of Canterbury,
seemingly against interventionist moves by the State in the current economic crisis, and the Prime Minister
Drawing on the parable of the Good Samaritan, Gordon has reportedly said: “I think the Archbishop would also agree with me that every time someone becomes unemployed or loses their home or a small business fails it is our duty to act and we should not walk by on the other side when people are facing problems. "
I entirely agree with what Brown has said and I applaud the fact that the Government did intervene to stop the banks spiralling into financial meltdown. I also applaud the fact that the language is getting tougher on fat cat profits by the City - and there will be more help to homeowners facing unemployment and the prospect of losing their homes.
I just wish the Government would ditch its ideological obsession with privatisation , which in the case of the Royal Mail will lead to more job losses, stop dreaming up punitive legislation on Welfare Reform, adopt a more humane policy on immigration, support a more progressive, equitable tax system so the investments needed to create jobs and make people more secure in their homes could be made. And, above all, recognise that fairness for all, especially the "hard-working families" we hear so much about, is just not compatible with the enthusiasm for globalisation and market -led capitalism which New Labour is still advocating.
Friday, 19 December 2008
GORDON AS THE GOOD SAMARITAN
Posted by
susan press
at
15:05
Labels: Gordon Brown. Prime Minister
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment