At the recent LRC conference, our Secretary Simeon Andrews referred to a "tidal wave of disgust" at some of New Labour's more reactionary policies. I predict this tidal wave will become a tsunami as James Purnell and Gordon Brown relentlessly try and steer Parliament into voting for punitive welfare reforms - a regime which will be backed by a newly privatised jobs agency. As a member of the Labour Party, it makes me sick to the stomach to read reports such as this one from the Press Association.
In the past few weeks, thousands of job losses have been announced. There will be more as the recession bites. This is what our Labour Government is planning........ no wonder decent people on the left are leaving the Party in droves
James Purnell is considering suspending benefits for some unemployed people
Unemployed people should do a 9 to 5 day looking for work or undertake community service style duties such as digging gardens under moves to tackle the hardcore of joblessness, the author of a Government-commissioned report said.
Professor Paul Gregg said there should be a completely new approach towards people such as parents of young children and those on incapacity benefit.
Virtually everyone on benefits should be required to take steps towards finding a job and should face having their benefits stopped for up to four weeks if they repeatedly refuse to co-operate with attempts to find them work, it was suggested.
Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell said he "strongly welcomed" the report, adding: "
A welfare reform bill will be included in the Queen's Speech on Wednesday, and the report is part of the Government's drive to get more people into work and cut down the numbers on benefit.
Mr Purnell said: "The approach that virtually everyone should be doing something in return for benefits is the right one.
Professor Gregg, of Bristol University, recommended that sanctions should be quicker, clear and more effective, with a simple system of fixed penalties and an escalating series of sanctions for repeat offenders.
The report recommends a swift escalation of sanctions for jobseekers who fail to turn up to meetings and interviews.
Mr Purnell and Prime Minister Gordon Brown have visited Work Directions, a private sector organisation providing employment support and advice to those on incapacity benefit or income support.
Speaking afterwards, Mr Brown said: "We want to get opportunities for people to get jobs. We want to give them all the personal support that is necessary. We want to provide a personal service to everyone. I can assure people, having been here, that there are thousands of vacancies that can be taken up. We are determined to help people." This is not the way to do it.
Tuesday, 2 December 2008
WELFARE TO WORKHOUSE
Posted by
susan press
at
13:46
Labels: Brown Govt New Labour
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Vulnerable ask a disabled person with a learning disability is he or she is vulnerable they will say nope, many of them could work, many did work until Labour stopped the Remploy factories. Last year I was offered a job digging gardens I'm in a wheelchair they said oh thats alright, but it's not a real job because I cannot dig a garden from a wheelchair it's impossible, I have problems picking up paper from a wheelchair but it's something I've done a lot of. But when sent to a job in an office the lady asked how many words could I type and I said I've no idea she said what method do you use and I said one finger, ah she said you cannot speed type then nope, I did not get the job
And since when has bringing up a child not been a job?
Correct a major job, making sure a child does not end up in care, we are returning to the old Latch keys kids again.
"The real point is that welfare claimants' have no strong motivation to find a job because they lose more in benefits than they can earn in net wages. Until the Powers That Be grasp this simple fact, all this tinkering achieves nothing." MW
Post a Comment