Friday, 15 May 2009

ARROGANCE BEYOND BELIEF

I've just been watching Look North on the telly. My TV is a clapped-out old thing that used to belong to my dad and I have been meaning to replace it for ages, A couple of hundred quid should get me a decent flat-screen model which will suffice for my modest needs. Not so Shahid Malik. When he wanted a new telly, he spent over £1000 on a "home cinema" - paid for of course out of the taxpayer's purse. I've just watched Malik defending himself - the arrogance was utterly astonishing. No wonder Gordon Brown moved swiftly and ( I hope) urged him to stand down. He actually thought his constituents, in one of the poorest parts of West Yorkshire "would understand." Well, actually, watching them being interviewed , it is clear they do not. They do not understand when they are struggling every week to pay bills that their MP is claiming for such essentials as a swanky telly and a massage chair . To say it is taking the mickey is an understatement. Which is why, instead of the quiet night in I had planned, I am heading to Leeds for a live radio discussion on MPs and Parliamentary selections. I would like to thank Radio 4 for the invite to say what I think......




7 comments:

John Buckingham said...

It really is beyond belief. I am sad that Clare Short has been drawn into it though - hers was an honest and quickly rectified mistake: she didn't need press pressure to give the money back either. And someone who resigns from Cabinet on principle is clearly not in it for the money. I hope we see plenty of Labour PPCs pledged to stand on a 'worker's wage' this time around - what would you have done if you'd been selected?

susan press said...

Honest answer. If I'd been selected I would have expected to be a backbencher and had the salary that goes with it.If I'd become an MP then I'd have found the cheapest form of accommodation there was and not expected extra remuneration for soft furnishings, luxuries like plasma TVs, etc. etc etc / MPs are entitled to live somewhere if they are outside London. No-one disputes that. They also need staff to handle constituency casework . But some og the claims we are now seeing are frankly obscene.

John Buckingham said...

Good answer, that seems totally fair: listening to 5Live etc, a lot of people seem to be talking as if they're against expenses in general - but clearly some sort of allowance is needed, if not for a home then for 'lodgings'. And yes, I really hope in the backlash from this we don't see a reduction in casework staff etc - that's so important. I still think standing on the average wage of one's constituents would be a good idea - but I have no idea whether it would result in more or fewer MPs from lower-paid jobs: I'd hope the former, but you never know with these things.

susan press said...

Thye problem would be that the "average wage" of constituents varies enormously.
If you're doing your job properly as an MP, you are working six days a week and on call at all times. I don't think it's unreasonable that a backbencher receives roughly the same as a senior civil servant. I think most MPs do behave honestly but it's clear those who hve not should pay the price.

John Buckingham said...

Oh I agree it's a perfectly reasonable salary - I'm just trying to think of ways to get more people from ordinary jobs into Parliament, and to get those currently there to have a better appreciation of their constituents' lives. As I say, I'm not sure this is the answer though. Your radio performance was excellent by the way - far more professional than most cabinet ministers (but then you've got nothing to hide!). Just a thought - Dewsbury's not too far away from you is it...fancy a shot??

susan press said...

Well, Bury North is not so far away either but frankly after two exhausting shots at it one thing I have learned is that if you don't have the machine with you then chances of winning are very slight.And, even if you do win and you are on the left, ( as janet did) then the right will do anything to stop you - including making stuff up.
One can only hope a clear out of the Augean stables will put an end to the corruption, dishonesty and greed

John Buckingham said...

I can see that it must be very demoralising - but you never know, third time lucky, eh? Hopefully people like yourself with sound morals will now be in the ascendancy; certainly all the young people I know in the party are largely critical of New Labour, so I hope that left candidates will stand a better chance in years to come. We're going to see a lot more scrutiny of people's records prior to entering Parliament, and that should benefit normal, decent, honest people. Don't stop trying, or there'll be nothing worth fighting for...