Wednesday, 20 May 2009

RESTORING ORDER

My silence re yesterday's events was down to the fact I was in London for a meeting of the Centre Left Grassroots Alliance, which discussed the developments on de-selection of MPs.
The Special Endorsement Panel will, in the interests of sorting this almighty mess out, now review all cases where MPs have behaved badly and broken the rules, or the spirit of the rules. The remit is rather vague and possibly strewn with difficulties but it is a start - though I would have preferred the NEC to take up the call for trigger ballots and allowing CLPs to make their own decisions. I understand the first two casualties are likely to be David Chaytor and Elliott Morley. How many more will follow is anyone's guess but if there is justice then cases like Margaret Moran and Hazel Blears must surely be looked at. I have my doubts whether a sub-group of the NEC is sufficiently independent to make the right decisions but broadly speaking, the tough line which has already seen the departure of the Speaker must be welcomed. But he should not be the sole scapegoat for others' misdemeanours......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two of the most odious MP's/ministers are now in the frame, both Purnell and Hoon are accused of not paying capital gains tax on the profits of their second home, hypocrites

Now, how on earth can Purnell pursue his brutal welfare reforms

'WERE GETTING CLOSER!

Anonymous said...

what if we introduced PR
wouldnt we have to go through re selection again

oh what joy to get Purnell

now Charles clarke and I will have a full set BHazel, Parnell and clarke

and they tell us to tighten our belts

Parnell, had hoped if not Labour leader part of Tory cabinet