Wednesday, 22 July 2009

THE SHARP END.

It is 25 years since I claimed welfare benefits. Today, on the advice of a fellow journalist also facing difficulties, I made enquiries about Working Tax Credits. It was no surprise, really, that I did not qualify. After all, I am a single person. And the fact I have a mortgage, council tax, heating and other utility bills to pay does not seem to register with the DWP.
So an income of £620 a month is deemed sufficient to live on. I've calculated my outgoings (excluding food) are around £550 a month. So that leaves £70 to buy food and survive. Less than £18 a week.
I should be grateful that for most of my working life I have been very far from this position. I should also be grateful that, in time, no doubt things will get better.
But this means-tested system, which offers nothing to single people seriously struggling , is a national disgrace.
Many politicians pay lip service to worrrying about the low-paid and the unemployed. They should try surviving on the breadline for a bit. Next time you hear one of them suggesting our benefits system is a licence to sit around and do nothing, and how generous the tax credits system is, rest assured this is utter rubbish.

No comments: