Friday, 27 June 2008

LOYALTY AT WHAT PRICE?

I have to admire the tenacity of Margaret Beckett on Newsnight just now - and it must be said the loyalty as she was one of the first to be sacked from the Cabinet.But at what price? Labour comes 5th in a by-election , lowest poll ratings since polls began, but Gordon is doing an "extremely good job in difficult circumstances." In a word, no.
I think I admired her undoubted tenacity more when she lambasted Neil Kinnock in 1981 for not voting for Tony Benn. One can only hope(against hope) that as a friend of Brown Beckett is offering wiser counsel than the official line she was spouting on the media.It could all have been so different

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Milburn is on the way back

god save our NHS from him

we have to draw the line

Brown has to remain until end of next year to take the flack

new leader PR then election

then a spell of Tory/Liberal hung government

while Labour builds up its municipal base

Anonymous said...

To judge by the way you use your blog to slag off the party you claim to be a member of and anyone who has risen in it above the ranks of the never quite made it, I doubt that you know much about loyalty...

susan press said...

Anonymous, I NEVER "slag off" the Party. I am one of many who criticise a Government which has brought us to the edge of extinction electorally.The way things are at present, most of the Cabinet will be thrown out next time.
The loyalty I value is of those who against all odds frankly continue to fight for socialism and Labour values.At the last count, about 30 MPs. There will not be many more left unless Labour changes direction. Fast.

Merseymike said...

Yes. Agreed. There is just zero enthusiasm for the Government.

Anonymous said...

ok, Suz, this is plan B.

Nationalise the banks. Then we steam into supermarkets. (I'll sequester the champs)

And so until we get to lollipop ladies. Much too bloody independent for my liking.

Anonymous said...

Well, we've already started on the banks. Lollipop persons are government employees anyway.

Anonymous said...

In the same way I opposed militant domination of the LPYS (they never got much further) I also oppose New Labour (social democrats) take over of our party.

Lets see how many leave when times get rough

We are here for the long term

we will rebuild the party and that party will be more left wing than the present one (if not as left as I would truely like)

Merseymike said...

New Labour are NOT social democrats. They are far , far to the right of progressive social democrats. Tony Crosland would be horrified by the Government's policies.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know how Labour Students ended up on Grass Roots slate, given her previous statements???

Robert said...

New Labour, Peter Mandelson to be sacked in new shake up, offer to go to Ken Clark, remember him Labours outstanding candidate for who was it oh yes the Tories.

I think this just about puts Labour into view, if Brown thought he could get away with it we have about ten Tories on the front bench, Thatcher might yet make a come back dementia or not.

I give up I really do.

Anonymous said...

Please Suz could you stop the political news feed on the right side of the screen.

It is becoming ridiculous.

We know Brown is now a certifiable incompetent who is set to cause great damage to the Labour Party at the next election.

I don't need my nose rubbed in it by the stream of comments on the feed.

Brown is our Great Numpty. Leave him alone. We suffer in silence.

Anonymous said...

more tory posts
why dont they stick to iain dale
who cuts out lefting posts

Robert said...

I've been in the Labour party 39 years mate, at least I put down my name.

Anonymous said...

yes we know who you are robert
are records show you as a CLP member in......................