Sunday, 8 June 2008

THEIR GREATEST WEAPON?

Margaret Thatcher is reported to have said that Gordon Brown is the "greatest weapon in the Tories' armoury. He is certainly doing a great job for their poll ratings. A poll in today's Telegraph puts Labour on its lowest poll ratings ever - on current form, Labour gets less seats than it did in 1983. Significant because the Foot regime is the one oft quoted by New labour as the benchmark of why the left cannot ever return to its formerfooting within the Party.
I have lobbied my local MP on the 42 days issue and I hope others locally do the same. Wednesday is when the Commons vote and in many ways it is a no-win situation for Gordon . Largely, one must conclude, a situation entirely of his own making.
Meanwhile Charles Clarke has been indiscreet in a late-night bar situation, not an unprecedented occurrence. As things stand, Labouris going to hell in a handcart. All we can do at present is try and salvage what we can.
On Tuesday night my Branch meets to nominate a candidate. I hope it makes the right decision in the interests of retaining this seat at the next election. Which is someone unafraid to stand aside from the New Labour car crash unfolding in front of us. Someone who can motivate activists utterly demoralised and disillusioned .
Now I'm off to enjoy a glorious sunny day ........

No comments: