Monday, 7 July 2008

Latest Rumour Is........

That Harriet Harman is going to step in and challenge Gordon Brown in the event of things turning for the worse. Ironic, really, given her allegiance to "Team Brown" but a year ago. However, it is perhaps a measure of how bad things are that I find myself thinking it would at least NOT be Miliband or Purnell. And of course a woman......If this scenario ever came to pass ( and I think it's just the start of the silly season, really) HH would NOT be the first female Leader of the Labour Party. Technically, that's Margaret Beckett. I do know women MPs of the Left who have time for her. I cannot really comment. Other than to say never underestimate the ambition of any politician. And that, in a straight fight between Harman and New Labour Suits like Burnham or Balls, I would support her.

9 comments:

Jim Jepps said...

I've heard so many rumours now - often coming directly or indirectly from MPs I'm putting little store in them.

Personally I think this *should* happen - but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

Anonymous said...

Harriet used to be quite cool, back in the day. I do sometimes wonder quite how much this (once) NCCL firebrand, and MI5 suspected communist, actually agrees with all the new lab stuff...

I can still remember the newsnight debate when she seemed to demonstrate some lack of conviction to the renewal of Trident.

Watch Glasgow East, if we actually do loose, then surely the Deputy Leader will feel some sense of responsibility?

Anonymous said...

Purnell...... the name alone is enough to make you cringe. And that appalling interview in The Times. Horrible man.

Anonymous said...

Iy would be better to wait a year after the euro elections to change the leader. That way the new leader would not get blamed the any of the economic problmes. And would not have to face up to almost certian defeats in the euro elections.

Robert said...

They are to blame and the people know this Brown is now the biggest liability to getting elected, we do need a new leader and why not Harriet, if she then turns out to be another New Labour then bang it's the end, because I think the Tories will look after middle England and Labour will be out of power for a decade or more, the working class have left and Labours nobody to blame but themselves.

Anonymous said...

HH would be a vote loser with most males, esp, WC ones, particulary since her equality legislation, not saying thats right, just the way it i2

Anonymous said...

Oh for goodness sake - how come a Tory in a red rosette doesn't fool you Susan, but a right-winger in a skirt does?

Margaret Thatcher was/is (oh why isn't she dead yet) a fucking woman!! Harriet Harman forced through cuts in lone parent benefit in the first term - something over which Alice Mahon resigned as a PPS over in disgust (along with Neil Gerrard and Gordon Prentice).

Harriet has voted for the same shit (including Gordon) as Purnell and Burnham - what's that? but she's a woman? Oh, can't be as bad then.

*weeping*

susan press said...

Actually, Alice Mahon voted for Harriet Harman as Deputy last year. So did Linda Riordan. I have no illusions about her at all. But I suppose I think if two women on the left I know and respect voted for her maybe she's not irredeeemable. Who knows.Probably clutching at straws.....

Anonymous said...

Then good bye Labour see you in about twenty years time, hello Tories nice to have you back.