I think it was Harold MacMillan who said that "events, dear boy, events" govern political successes and failures. And apologies for not blogging earlier today but like many others in these very difficult times am fire-fighting financial Armageddon and trying to work out how to survive. Kind of stops one feeling creative.....
This much I know. Gordon Brown has had it. The reality is anyone, and I mean ANYONE, would deliver better election results than the co-architect of New Labour has a cat in hell's of doing.
Glasgow East , if lost, will spell the end for Gordon Brown. I have that on reliable authority which I am not at liberty to distribute. Let's just say it's a senior Labour figure.
Now I think that's a sad end to a political career which started so spectacularly well and if only Gordon had hung on to his socialism but frankly I am more concerned now about the many decent Labour MPs who will go to the slaughter if Brown refuses to go quietly.
What we are looking at now is basically a salvage operation - a damage limitation strategy. I have not very much time for Jack Straw. Nor Alan Johnson. But they are, if truth be told, the likely caretakers. Miliband won't go anywhere near this extremely poisoned chalice. In any case, he could be out at the next election
My take is this. If either of them have the Party's interests at heart ( and they probably do) now is the time to go to Gordon and say - you had your chance, you've messed it up, now our priority is saving the Labour Party from annihiliation. The Tories do it. And now must we.
Or we may never have a Labour Government again in my lifetime.
Tuesday, 1 July 2008
GAME UP FOR GORDON
Posted by
susan press
at
23:46
Labels: abyss, Gordon Brown. Prime Minister
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I Will, have a £10 bet that the elections will be much closer then you think, Brown is now hitting back with his NHS post code lottery. We will see now more and more bits and bobs to get the low paid on board, I think we will see the Min wage go up to counter his mess with the 10 tax rip off.
I will guess many voters will vote Labour because they know what will happen under the Tories.
Basically spin and lies are still alive and they still work.
Well, to be frank, there really isn't THAT much difference between many of the stated policies in any case, and yes, there may well be some clawback.
But is the election going to be won or lost on policy anyway, or just a combination of spin and the electoral cycle?
He has two years or just under, he will now bring in the big guns to work out how he can win the next elections no matter the price once in of course look out, but he has already started with, the drugs post code lottery, next will be the min wage that will go up, he has agreed in principle to give the 1.1 million losers of the 10p tax fiasco money.
You watch he is out to win back the lost voters of the left. but are we stupid enough to fall for it, yes.
If Brown tries to win back the left that can only be a plus
It pains me to say this but I think it's too late; the tipping point has been reached. Whatever he tries to win back / retain votes will be seen for what it is - a cynical exercise - and the Tories will continue to benefit.
I can't see anyone who can turn this around. It's time for Labour to take its punishment and hope that a return is only another 5 years away.
Yes but you have to ask your self why is he doing it, it's to win an election, then he will return to his old ways. Brown would be a laughing stock if he loses the next election not from me or you or anyone serious, but Blair and letter box lil. (the wife) but I want real change not just Brown doing this to win an election then returning to New Labour policies.
Post a Comment