Sunday, 13 July 2008

TRAMP THE DIRT DOWN.....

I suppose it was inevitable. One year ago, Margaret Thatcher was treated to tea and buns at Number 10. Now Gordon Brown is said to be in talks with the Queen about a state funeral for Margaret Thatcher. In one word, why?

Aside from it obviously being an insult beyond measure for all those chucked on the dole in her 11 years as Prime Minister, I see little reason for this.
I just about remember Winston Churchill's funeral. My granny had the TV on, She was no Conservative, but she wanted to pay her respects - it was only 20 years since the war had ended and I suppose you can see why a grateful nation wanted to honour the man who had led them through the dark days of the Blitz ( even if they voted in Attlee immediately afterwards) .
In my lifetime, several ex Prime Ministers have died. Macmillan, Wilson, Callaghan, Heath. No-one suggested state funerals for them.
Unlike Elvis Costello, I would not dance on Thatcher's grave. Unlike Gordon Brown, I would not honour either a woman whose name is synonymous with misery for millions of working people in this country. She all but destroyed the trade unions and labour movement in the 1980's. Hardly something to be celebrated.

7 comments:

Robert said...

But she is a great Icon for New Labour after all they followed her, prayed at her table, and then wish to give her a great send off.

What better way for New Labour to tell Tory voters we loved her.

Do not forget we have a bloody picture of her in the Welsh assembly as the greatest leader of all time, which shows how far New Labour have come. We say parents are the cause of all the woes of this country with knife crime and gun crime, nobody says a word about Thatchers bloody disgrace of a son. the little shit.

This is why I left Labour and will not come back

ian said...

You left Labour because of Thatchers son? I havent heard of that one!!

Merseymike said...

I'll crack open a bottle of champagne when that evil cow dies, along with many in this city, and I don't care who knows it.

Anonymous said...

You cannot let her rest in piece when (if) she died we need to get the stakes and silver bullet out.

We need to be on the streets when she dies stating her many crimes against society (not to mention her sons arms contracts in Saudi????)

State funeral never.....thats one riot we will all be at

My only hope is that Mandela out lasts her after all she called him a terrorist and she believed in hanging terrorists

she was pure evil, let the yanks have her

If Brown gives her a state funeral that is one thing I will resign on (for real this time)

Anonymous said...

Sorry just on Churchill, while the Royal Family got a welcome in the East End during the blitz...Winston Churchill was not and on more than one occasion was chased off by the women of Stepney.

Dont forget it was Churchill who had refused the deep shelters the East enders needed..also his anti working class views were well known to the Communist people of Stepney...dont forget they voted in a Communist MP, Phil Piratin after the war as well as numerous communist councillors

Never forget what Churchill did in Tonypandy riots 1910, Liverpool Transport strike 1911,his support for Franco (unlike Ted Heath), bombing in Iraq and of course Gallipoli

While the East End was being bombed to hell and denied access to the underground network for shelters, mothers trying to find enough to eat, childcare, and go to work in the morning after a night of snatched sleep, Churchill was eating five course meals with the best wines and brandy

susan press said...

Churchill also supported the Black and Tans in ireland. My grandfather hated him ( along with thousands of other Irishmen). But as he died in 1965 , only 20 years after end of WW2, I think my point was you could understand why there was a state funeral......

Anonymous said...

No I left because of her visit to Brown at number 10.
plus a few other things like Welfare reforms
But hold on I've changed my mind, I will help Labour give her a state funeral.

She can be buried in a long deep pit which we will open for her, lower to the bottom, then we can all piss down the shaft, close the mine and place on top a statue we have down here of a miner his wife holding a child. all in Black.


The Welsh Assembly have a picture one of the greatest politician in Wales of course Nye Bevan, which if you think would make you smile, Nye was kicked out of Labour and had to promise to toe the Labour line, he wanted decent wages for miners. and the greatest politician to have made the most difference to people, Thatcher, and nobody has damaged it which I think shows how quick we can look back and forget.

I was talking this week and a lady who has been part of the Labour party down here, said to us do you know something Thatcher does not seem that bad now.

The daily Mirror says inflation has risen to 18.75%, Labour have stated it is wrong and it's only 3%

But the ONS stated food has gone up 17% fuel 30% work this in with other items and you get 18.75%

Last month Brown told Cameron yes we remember inflation of 15%, chickens roast bite your lip comes to mind.


Labour says children have bad parents what is Thatchers excuse for her son.